Chapter 48: Visitors

You blink slowly, your eyelids sticking together. You reach up to rub your eyes, cringing at the crust that had developed on them. Once you open them all the way, you try to sit up, but you are quickly stopped. "Don't." You look at the person who had their hand on your chest, preventing you from sitting up further.

"Jasper," you whisper, your voice coming out hoarse. You lay back down, looking up at the gem. "Where am I?"

"At the hospital, apparently," she replies, sitting in a chair beside your bed. "The fusion told me." She crosses her arms, looking away from you as a blush appears across her cheeks. You giggle, adjusting your head on your pillow to see her better.

"Garnet?" you question, furrowing your eyebrows. You then began coughing, raising your hand to cover your mouth. The orange gem looks at you worriedly, but you wave her off.

"Yeah. She-sometimes talks to me when she comes back from a mission. The runt does, too," she says, mumbling the last part. You smile warmly, closing your eyes for a short moment.

"That's nice," you muse, suddenly feeling tired.

"Speaking of missions..." You open your eyes to look at Jasper, seeing a troubled expression. "Why would you-," she sighs, closing her eyes and pursing her lips, "-what happened? I want to hear everything from the beginning." You raise your eyebrows for a second, poking your lips out.

"Well," you start, sighing, adjusting yourself in the hospital bed again, "We were attacked. Beach City was attacked. A few Homeworld gems came to collect some humans Steven had unknowingly given Yellow Diamond a list of. I'm not sure why Yellow would even bother to collect them, but she had to have had a reason, so she sent an Aquamarine and a Topaz fusion."

"An Aquamarine?" You nod, coughing softly. Jasper exhales, sitting back in the chair. "What would Yellow Diamond want with some busted humans? No offense." You chuckle, inhaling sharply through your mouth before you speak again.

"None taken. But-Steven and the others noticed pretty quick that something was going on. That people were going missing. So, I remember we split into teams. I went with Garnet, Pearl and Amethyst were together, and that left Steven with Connie. We were in search of the gem Steven had described to us, since, at the time, we didn't know she was an Aquamarine." Jasper hums, nodding as she slides down in her chair. She appears to be getting comfortable, crossing her arms and spreading her legs. You chuckle, shaking your head before focusing your (e/c) eyes on the ceiling. "Anyway. If I'm remembering correctly, I had a talk with Garnet about you as we were searching, but none of the gems ever found anything. So we met back at the house only for Steven to tell us that Connie had been taken."

"Talk about me?" Jasper asks, raising an arched eyebrow.

"Well...yeah. At this point in time she had known about-these. These dreams, o-or visions I have of you where we can communicate. Not too long before the kidnappings, Garnet told me not to excite you too much whenever I did have these dreams in fear you would...break out of your bubble. Which you've done maybe twice already?" you say, attempting to sit up again. Jasper stops you once more, and you sigh, lying back down. You try and get comfortable, but to your dismay, it's hard to do when you're forced to stay in one position.

"Excite me, huh," Jasper chuckles, a smirk on her lips. You giggle, a blush presenting itself across your (s/c-t) cheeks.

"Yeah...but-when we went looking for Connie, Steven's best friend, we also met Aquamarine and the Topaz fusion. The Crystal Gems fused, Steven and Connie managed to get everyone off of the ship...but our plan didn't end up working how we intended. Aquamarine had this wand that could freeze people in place, so she did that so no one could escape. I managed to knock her wand out of her hand, but...that didn't unfreeze anyone. It just made her angry. So I was grabbed by Topaz and held hostage until Steven convinced them he was Rose Quartz." As you speak, you notice Jasper's leg bouncing as if she was becoming impatient. Her jaw was set; a clear sign that she was grinding her teeth.