38.

Hazel Fenty

Hazel Fenty

Bashar and I sat at the drive in waiting for the movie to start

Bashar and I sat at the drive in waiting for the movie to start. They'd be showing The Black Phone. I was so excited to finally watch it since I had to wait a week. I had been running low on funds lately and needed to get back on track. That was two months ago though. I had already saved up close to two bands. Only because Bashar gave me money every week. He knew I wanted to live nearby the campus I just wanted my own place. Harlow and Isaac sat in the car beside us. Yes, Harlow and I finally became friends again. We had a long two hour talk and it was just big misunderstanding. I found myself being very egotistic. I was disappointed in myself. I had hit things off with Bashar but hadn't gotten things back sane with my own best friend. All that matters now is that we've moved past it.

"Breathe bitch." I joked, as Harlow threw up her middle finger. I laughed and looked over at Bashar who was on his phone.

"What you looking at?" I asked, leaning over. He immediately locked his phone then looked at me.

"Nothing. Just looking at shit." I stared at him for a few seconds before reverting my attention at the screen. The credits were coming to an end and the movie was about to start. I don't know what had been going on with him lately but Bashar was being very secretive. It kind of soured my mood a little about how he was acting.

"What's wrong?" He asked, I side-eyed him shaking my head. I was really upset and he could see it. "Come on man, don't start." He whispered, just for me to hear.

"You're the one that's being secretive. Not me." I whispered back, with an attitude. We had been dating now for only a few weeks and he was on some weird shit all of a sudden.

What I refuse to do is go through the same shit I did with Ty. If it was going to be like that I would carry my ass some place else. Bashar put his hand on my thigh and I pushed it away.

"Fuck off." I said. He was taken back by what I said.

"You for real?" He asked, in disbelief.

"Yea, I'm for real!" I said loudly, causing a few heads to look our way. He scoffed, and then looked around at the staring faces.

"The fuck y'all looking at? Mind your fucking business." They all turned back around embarrassingly. I watched the movie with my head rested on my fist. I could see Harlow looking at me through my peripheral. She knew I'd tell her later.

After the movie was over Bashar wanted me to ride off with him to a party but I refused. I didn't want to go anywhere with him. Harlow and I just decided to go back to her place to chill. I texted my mom to let her know and she was okay with it.

"So what happened?" Harlow asked, as we got comfortable.

"So after I had said my slick comment to you back at the drive through I looked over at Bashar to see he was on his phone. I asked him what he was looking at and this man decides to quickly lock his phone back and say "nothing, just looking at shit." I cop an attitude and don't want to be bothered. He try and  rubs on my leg and he got embarrassed. This isn't the first time Harlow. I don't understand what's going on man. I don't want to be that type of girlfriend, looking through phones, and asking a whole bunch of questions." I sighed, shaking my head.

"When did all this stuff start?" Harlow asked.

"Some days ago, right after we had sex. I don't understand man. Is something wrong with me?" I was becoming anxious, and sick of being treated like a nobody.

"Hazel, don't you dare question your sanity. There is nothing wrong with you. At all. There's something wrong with these niggas. If you want, I can get Isaac to talk to him for you." Harlow offered, but I shook my head.

"No, it's fine. I'll just keep my distance for a bit." I nodded, looking down at my flashing phone.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hazel, can you come home a little early? I need help with these babies and I don't know where you're father is." It sounded like she was crying. I quickly grabbed my clutch and slipped on my shoes.

"Yeah, mommy. I'm coming." We said a quick goodbye and I hung up.

"Well I have to go. Mom needs help with the twins. I'll call you tomorrow." Harlow nodded, and led me out. We said our see you laters and I was off, to go home.

I parked in the garage and headed upstairs to hear screaming. Only God knows which twin that was. Probably Haven. I opened the nursery door to see mom was in tears. She looked stressed and exhausted.

"You okay, ma?" I knew she wasn't but it didn't hurt to ask still.

"No, just take her. I don't understand what's wrong with her." I did as told. I took my baby sister and rocked her. She screamed and screamed.

"I've checked her diaper multiple times and there's nothing. I fed her warm milk but only half and she's still fussy." Mom said, teary eyed watching me. Haven was not having it at all. Her face was so red and she was stressed out. I wasn't sure if there was anything left for me to do. So I repeated what my mom did except for the feeding. I checked her diaper and there was three tiny balls of poop. I looked over at mom and she looked at me with tired eyes.

"She's constipated." I smiled, wiping Haven's bottom and preparing her fresh diaper. "I'll fix her some prune juice." I kissed my mom on the forehead. I grabbed her paci and put it in her mouth. She hushed for a bit. I had to hurry before she started up again. Hendrix was sleeping peacefully and we didn't need both of them crying.

After preparing her juice I made sure it was the right temperature before putting it into her mouth. Haven instantly began drinking. I only went up half because mom gave her milk just moments ago. I watched as she was finishing up and her eyes were becoming heavy. Bingo.

I told mom to bring down a sleeping mat and extra pillows. If anybody wanted sleep tonight it would
be best for us to sleep down here tonight. It would be like a cute sleepover.

Not long after we all got comfortable, mom and the twins were fast asleep. I slipped up from underneath the blanket to go to my room. I was in need of a hot shower and taking out my braids. My birthday was a week in a half away and I was finally turning eighteen. I was so excited. My dress and shoes  would be arriving soon and all my appointments were booked.

After I moisturized and cleaned my room a little I attired myself in a t-shirt and g-string and was now preparing to watch tv and taking out these braids. I settled on The Wayans Bros for entertainment purposes. I popped a few peanuts in my mouth for a snack and grabbed my scissors. It was going to be a long night.