Searching

Eddie: "What are you looking for?"
Robin: "Madonna, Blonde, Bowie, Beatles. Music. We need music!"
Eddie: "This. Is. Music!"

*

Nineteen woke up early the next morning. At least, she thought it was morning. She wasn't sure at this point. There were no windows. After another long drink out of the faucet, she was ready to find a way out. But first, food. The water helped give the sensation of being full while she searched. Eventually, she found other rooms. She stepped inside one and was disappointed in learning it just contained a machine, two chairs and a table. Nothing useful.

She hesitated outside the door. Looking in, the scene as it was laid out teased the edges of her memory. Had she been in this room before? Not likely. Drawn back inside, she sat down in the chair, her mind questioning her motive for doing so.

Like clouds parting, she saw clearly, the machine with its dials and buttons in her mind. It had some important function she was sure. The name of the thing was on the tip of her tongue. Nineteen leaned over and touched some of the dials. The machine was unplugged. Curious, she plugged it in and it started with a whirring sound, spitting out reams of paper with squiggly lines.

She ran out of the room more than startled. Frightened. That was the word. She was frightened. Running down the corridor she halted in the junction momentarily confused. All the corridors appeared the same, the fear blotting out the direction to her room. She turned left then right then stopped before a set of double doors. "Wait this is not right," she muttered. "Where are the doors with the numbers?"

Fear twisted in her stomach. Something told her not to go into the room. What could it mean? Why did it matter? It was just another room right? Cautiously, she touched the door, then shrank back as if touching a hot poker. Turning around, she went right, getting quite lost.

It took some time to locate her room. When she did, she sat down on the bed and rested. "I need a map," she said. Some way of knowing where all the rooms were and their purpose. "If I'm to find some answers, I need to know the layout."

She searched the desk drawers and found both paper and crayons. Perfect. Even if the original owners hadn't done so, she decided to color code the corridors and floors. It would save her from getting lost. Plus, it was something to do.

With a box of twenty four crayons, she had plenty of colors to choose from. But first, the map. She started from her room, writing the numbers in her section of the corridor then branching out to include the other numbers.

She couldn't figure out what the numbers were for. Room numbers she supposed so the inhabitants wouldn't get lost either. For what purpose? For kids? The drawings in room nineteen, had two such pictures. Something a kid would draw.

Who would house kids in such an odd place? And why? The place seemed cold and sterile to her. Not for kids at all. When the last room was marked, she assigned the color blue to this corridor.

Red was for the corridor with the machine that spit out paper. Green for the infirmary. Yellow for the testing rooms which were made of larger squared dark gray tiles. One such room had a wheel of metal with light bulbs. She puzzled over the purpose of such

She noted too, that there was another machine with the same kind of cap made out of wires. Nineteen didn't understand the significance. She felt she should but when she probed her mind for the answer, she came up against the same fogged wall.

Further exploration took her to a new room with double doors. She opened them easily, power no longer transmitting to the panel on the side. The panel required some kind of key to get in but without the necessary power to keep it functioning, Nineteen could go inside.