Spring, Year 1

Charlie had imagined a lot of challenges when he'd decided on his new direction in life. Learning to farm-that was a big one. Making friends with a village full of strangers, which had happily been less of an obstacle than he'd thought. Overcoming his existential crisis had been on the list as well, and thus far, he'd found the work of farming to be demanding enough to keep his mind off the Big Questions. But at no point had anyone warned him about the Flower Dance.

It had become a popular topic, and no matter where he went, it followed him. "Don't be silly, you have to go," Marnie told him as he bought chicken feed. "It's tradition. Dress up nice."

"And who will you be asking for a dance?" Jodi asked, winking, as he crossed the square on the way to the saloon.

"Have any of the pretty girls in town caught your eye?" Caroline asked pointedly, while her daughter Abigail attempted to disappear into the store shelves behind her.

It wasn't that he was opposed to going, exactly. He liked parties, he liked dancing, he didn't even mind dancing with women. The problem was that he wasn't good enough friends with any of the women in town to ask them for a dance without potentially leading them on, and he didn't want to do that just to save face in front of the village matchmakers.

There was one exception, but she had turned out to be a dead end. "I'm sorry, Charlie," Maru had said, sounding genuinely regretful as she accepted the new (slug-free) cauliflower he'd brought her. "But I always dance with Harvey, and I don't want to stand him up unless he's got another offer."

Ah. Charlie instantly felt silly, trying to wedge himself in the middle of arrangements that had stood for years. "No problem," he said, in as cheerful a voice as he could muster. "I was actually really hoping to get out of dancing, so you're doing me a favor. Just had to prove to Jodi and Caroline that I made an effort, you know." He winked, and Maru gave a sympathetic laugh. As they chatted, Harvey emerged from the back, brightening when he saw who the visitor was.

"Hi, Charlie," he greeted him, coming to stand behind Maru.

"Hey, Harvey." Charlie was relieved to see that Harvey was becoming more comfortable around him; Bones' emergency and their evening in the saloon seemed to have steadied him a bit. It was much easier to befriend someone when they didn't hide as soon as you came in the door. "Got a refill for you."

He pulled the jar of pickles out of his basket-green beans, this time-and as always, felt a little surge of pride at Harvey's reaction. "My favorite!" he exclaimed, taking the jar without hesitation this time. "The last ones were delicious. You've gotten very good at this. Thank you again. Although..." He looked up from the jar, seeming to rein himself in a little. "You really shouldn't be giving away food for free."

Charlie had expected an argument along these lines, and he was prepared. "Those are actually just extra. I keep making more than I can fit in my shipping box," he lied smoothly. "Honestly, you're doing me a favor. My house would be buried in pickles without you."

A smile crinkled the corners of Harvey's green eyes, and Charlie was struck again by how much the expression changed him. "Well, I'm happy to help, then," he said. "What brings you in today?"

Charlie opened his mouth to brush off the question, but Maru laughed and beat him to it. "Charlie was just asking me to the Flower Dance," she said wryly, and Harvey's eyes widened. "Don't worry, I turned him down. I wouldn't leave you hanging."

"Oh," Harvey said, seeming a little deflated. He smiled at Charlie again, but it didn't reach his eyes this time, and Charlie felt suddenly guilty. Why? "Well, of course I wouldn't want to get in the way. If you'd rather be Charlie's date, go right ahead, Maru."