Chapter 16

ten long years ago, coal age 8:

"Coal!" I could hear the mother call out my name, I hated that woman. She was evil and only lived for the expense of others. She was the headmaster of the orphanage I had lived in all my life.

"Coming ma'am!" I ran to her immediately, she did not like to be kept waiting. If I did leave her waiting, I would get swats and bathroom duty for a month. I ran down the stairs to her, she was standing beside the door tapping her foot. There was someone at the door but I couldn't see who. Anger was spelled across her face, everything I had done wrong the past week went through my mind, I was wonder which one she had found out about. She creaked open the door to reveal who was standing behind it. I looked up at the police officer that looked at me with a scowl.

"This is him?" His voice was deep and intimidating. Though I wasn't very scared of him, this wouldn't be the first time I was involved with the police and I doubt it would be the last.

"Yes, I'm sure this is the boy you're looking for."

He leaned down to look me in the eye, he was very round for a cop. "Did you steal the jewelry from the place down the block."

"I don't know what your talking about," I responded smugly. What did he expect for me to just confess?

"You need to hand those over right now or you'll have to do serious jail time."

"I told you I don't know what your talking about, what more do you want from me fatty." He grabbed me by the collar lifting me closer to his face.

"You listen here you little brat-"

"No you listen, first get your hands off me! Second I have no idea who stole those." He threw me onto the ground and a ring fell out of my pocket. It had a large diamond placed on the top. I was going to use the money I got for selling it to buy a bike to get out of here. Every time I tried to escape this place the cops caught me before I got out of town.

"Nothing about it huh?" He picked me up off the ground and put me on my feet, damn he found out. I was so screwed when he found the rest of my stash. "May I?" He looked toward the mother. She nodded with a smile and he headed up stairs. This wasn't the first time the cops had searched my room. To the cops I was an insignificant part of society that should have died on the doorstep of this orphanage.

Technically I was always in the right, I stuck up for other people, if I thought that something was wrong I would set it right. The only problem was that I was willing to do anything to get out of here. Even in school the teachers thought I was a bad student, not because I was stupid but because I was always messing around in class. I would show other kids how to make rockets and sling shots. I was also the bully of the school, I would only beat the kids who beat up other kids for no reason, so kinda like a bully for the bullies. I was a straight A student, I didn't really even try in school, it was just kind of natural.

I followed him up the stairs, anticipation growing. I didn't want to go to jail a fourth time. He looked around the boys dorm, searching every crease and crevice. My friend, John, sat on his bed looking at me with wide eyes. I nodded, he came over to me. "They are going to find them."

"I know..."

"When will you learn, why can't you just stay here like the rest of us."

"Because this place is a hell hole! Do you want to live here for the rest of your life!"

"Well no... But we'll get adopted."

"No one will want us! We're no bodies, when was the last time you saw anyone get adopted from this place?"