Chapter 2: The First Day of School!

"Strawberry shortcake is awesome..." a young girl snored. The morning sun glimmered through her curtains. A stuffed bear lay next to her with bandages covering it. On a table next to her bed, a dolphin-shaped alarm clock started buzzing. The light brown-haired girl snapped up and fumbled her way to the alarm clock. Once the buzzing had stopped she quickly folded up her blankets on the bottom of the bed and gently laid the wounded teddy bear on top. "Oh right, I'm not at home anymore!" she exclaimed. Miho Nishizumi had recently transferred to Ōarai from her old school. Rules had been much stricter at home for her, but now that she lived away from it all, she finally felt free.

She quickly changed into her school uniform, a white sailor-style uniform with green trim and a black ribbon. The uniform's green skirt also matched the trim.

After double-checking that her apartment was locked, Miho made her way to her new school. It was clear outside, with only a few clouds dotting the skies. She hummed to herself as she passed a bakery where fresh bread was being laid out on display. "Nothing beats the smell of fresh bread!" She exclaimed happily.

Everything was so bright and vibrant. With the Japanese school year starting in April, the cherry blossom trees were blooming and the air was fresh. People passed by her chatting about lunch or their classes. "We don't have any of those around where I live," she stated while passing a convenience store, "I'll have to check it out after-" She wasn't paying attention to her surroundings and ran straight into a lamppost with a sign on it headfirst and fell backward. "Ow ow ow," she groaned while holding her forehead. Miho looked up at the sign and saw that it had an adult and a child on it with Anglerfish antennae. "That's kind of cute," she noted cheerfully.

"Are you okay?" Someone asked her from behind.

Miho looked up with surprise. "Oh me? Yeah, I'm fine!" She turned her head to the person who spoke, revealing a boy with auburn hair wearing the boy's version of the Ōarai uniform, being a simple white button-up shirt with green buttons and cuffs and black slacks.

"You sure?" He asked with concern.

"Yeah just a little dazed," she replied with a slight blush and a smile.

Ross held out his hand to pull her up, which she accepted. After pulling Miho to her feet he introduced himself, "By the way, I'm Ross, what's your name?"

"I'm Miho," she replied, "Thanks for helping me up." She dusted off her skirt.

"Not a problem, I assume you're going to school in Ōarai as well," he guessed.

"Yeah I just transferred, how long have you been here?" Miho asked as they began to walk together.

"I transferred here as well, all the way from America."

Miho looked surprised, "What's it like there?"

Ross shrugged. "It's alright I suppose, we don't have massive school ships. I'm still trying to take it all in," he replied.

"It is quite impressive isn't it?" Miho asked, "So why did you transfer here?"

The two's conversation was interrupted by a shouted greeting. "Hey, Ross!" Joseph called as he ran over to him before unceremoniously crashing into the ground. "Damn curbs..." he muttered while dusting himself off.

"Joseph you should be more careful, you don't want to get hurt on your first day," William advised, "So Ross, it looks like you made a friend, could you introduce us?"

Miho bowed. "My name is Miho Nishizumi, it's nice to meet you, William and Joseph," she greeted.

"How do you already know our names?" William asked curiously.