» 08

~ Thirty Years Later

Jeon Haeyun, twenty six years old, is a magazine editing head at Oxford University Press, Busan, South Korea. She grew up as a single child with loving parents, and pursued her dreams and was successful enough to be hired by her most anticipated company. Perfect job, and she aces at it.
From the sidelines, her life seems picture perfect.

Losing her parents to a road accident on her twenty third birthday gave Haeyun two miseries, one was her PTSD and other was some vague and puzzling flashbacks, and "nightmares" as she perceived them to be.

Her psychologist expressed that her PTSD was the result of her parents death, but her puzzling flashbacks weren't. The psychologist couldn't properly make out why they existed Haeyun's conscience when she has not even experienced such events ever in her life of twenty three years.

The peculiar puzzles.

"Stay." She heard a beseeching call in her sleep, it was the first time she experienced the nightmare. The dark and vague scenes couldn't give her any clue about what it was. It felt happy for a moment, the echoes were laughs and togetherness, then all of a sudden, it was sad, it was all of it altogether. 

Any other being who would experience that would wake up screaming or terrified, but Haeyun woke up with tears streaming down her face with an ache in her heart, and an apology to gasp out.

"I'm sorry for leaving you…."

She didn't know why she apologized, or to whom she apologized.

And this was her daily routine since the first night after her twenty-third birthday.

.
.
.

Haeyun had shifted to Seoul three days ago, she still had things to unpack and a house to set up to be good enough to live in.

She was putting up the photo frames in her room when someone knocked on her door. It startled her a little, who could it be as ahe couldn't recall making any acquaintances here.

She peeped out, and recognised a somewhat familiar person, her personal assistant, Hwang Hyunjin.

Hwang Hyunjin, a boy in his early 20s, an intern at Oxford University Press, drove all the young female staff crazy over his dirty blond hair, sweet eyes with a mole under the right one, and an adorable smile.
Being excellent in his job, he was given the opportunity to get trained under Jeon Haeyun, the new managing director who had just shifted to the main branch in Seoul. He was playful, and a ball of sunshine one might say. Haeyun was personally impressed by his resume, and when he came to pick her up at the airport like a gentleman, she knew she was going to write a good note of his service, which will help him well in future. And now, he showed up at her place early in the morning with his beaming smile.

"Good Morning, Manager-nim," he greeted with a warm smile when she opened the door for him. She herself took a breath of relief.

"Don't need to be so formal when we're not in office, I told you that already," she smiled at him and kept the photo frame aside.

"Sorry. Good Morning, noona…" he replied sheepishly, to which Haeyun shook her head with a smile.

"Yeah," she smirked, "Good Morning, Namdongsaeng(little brother)." 

Hyunjin rolled his eyes, poor boy's flirting got washed over.

Haeyun chortled softly and then walked to the kitchen, "If I had my house settled, I would have offered you breakfast. But you see, I live on corn flakes, and instant ramen right now."

She flashed the packet in front of him.

Hyunjin laughed and then smirked proudly, "you would be glad to know my purpose for gracing your house, then."