Creepy

Two Years Later.

August POV.

My mom always wanted a kid with one of those comically long names. She got that wish earlier than you're technically supposed to.

I was born when she was fifteen. The man responsible? He actually stayed with her, believe it or not. Then he got arrested. Drug dealing and assault; that's all I know about it. Ma wouldn't tell me the details.

And so here I am. Augustus Antonne Chaquille. I prefer August. Don't ever call me Gus, please.

I stare at myself in the mirror. Dark skin; like, the espresso color on all those tone charts. Short blonde dreads so faded they're starting to look brown. Need to re-dye that. I flick my Purple Rain t-shirt. Black cargo pants and purple Jordan airs.

Ma always says I'm a handsome little heartbreaker. It's kinda embarrassing; and honestly...

I sigh. She's completely right. Maybe minus the heartbreaker part, but I guess that's what a man's supposed to be.

The heartbreaking thing, it's kind of like a right of passage at school with the popular kids. I'd consider myself one. Is that a cocky thing to say? Maybe. Do I care? Yea, but we're gonna pretend not to.

I lift my shirt for a sec, just to check. No abs yet. Should've done more practicing over the summer. This year'll be the one though, you'd better believe that. I drop the fabric back over my flat stomach, pick up my bag, and head to the living room.

Ma watches the news with a real bored look on her face. I try to sneak past her, but I swear that woman has a heat radar or something. She turns to me, smiles, and then forcefully yanks me down for one of those unnecessarily long series of kisses on the cheek. I stifle a groan.

"I'm gonna be late," I complain.

"They won't miss you," she pats my dry cheek.

"I'll miss the bus," I continue as she digs for something in her purse. I let out a sound of protest when she pulls out a thing of Vaseline.

She clicks her tongue as she slathers some of the stuff all over my face, "You look like a ghost! Maybe if you listened to me, I wouldn't have to do this!"

When she finally finishes, I once again attempt sneaking away. She pulls me right back.

"Ah, ah, ah! Let me see those dimples first. Then you can go."

"Ma—"

"Cheese!"

I let her see those dimples. She pinches my cheek 'endearingly' before finally letting me grab my bag and leave. I don't think I've ever been so excited to go to school.

Actually, never mind. Can't believe I even thought that.

The very second I step outside, Tj grabs my bag and slings me around with it. I shut my eyes so it doesn't make me so dizzy. When I'm steady again, I reopen them and get a great view of his stupid crooked grin that makes his eyes scrunch up so much I'm still not sure if he can see while doing it.

He slaps me on the back as if the previous show of violence wasn't enough, "AC, AC, AC; how you doin', brother?"

"Why?"

Tj laughs, "I was feelin' it. Now, show me to the bus."

"Dude," I snicker, "you forgot again?"

He nods. "Why else would I be asking? Lead the way."

I roll my eyes and reposition my backpack as we begin walking to the bus stop. Tj, or Terrance junior(he would kill me if I said it out loud), babbles along about last year's basketball season. I don't really watch that kind of stuff. Don't really get how people can get so deep into it. Actually playing the sport is fun though. I plan to join the school's team this year.