EIGHTEEN!

STEVEN MEEKS. Their beloved friend had passed away. Out of all of the poets, nobody ever thought that poor Meeks would pass away. Tragically as a matter of fact. It was news that shattered them all.

Steven Meeks had studied finance at Columbia University after they all said their goodbyes. He was with of course Knox and Chris, who still were together. However, he wished that he wasn't a third wheel... he also wished that Pitts, Rebetta, Todd and even Neil were there.

If you asked him his experience, he could have told you it was a very bland experience. To him, it felt exactly like Welton. He just then knew that learning wasn't fun, because there weren't any teachers like Mr. Keating. He had settled down in Boston after he graduated in 1964, but this was right during the Vietnam war.

He had been drafted.

Meeks thought the war in Vietnam was stupid and that the United States should've just kept their nose out of it. But of course, they did. After a drawl, his number was chosen. He didn't mind though, because after all this was his country. He wanted to defend it and the people in it, just in case anything bad happened to it.

But little did he know that he would die in duty. It was the summer of 1969. His squad got hijacked by different bombs, and left and right. He was trying to save his fellow troops. But he would sacrifice himself by saving others. That's just who Meeks was. He was a guy that would save you but put his own life on the line just so you could go home to your family. Meeks would never go home to his mother, or his father... not even his little sister who he always liked to tease. He'd never pay his taxes again, which he actually liked doing because numbers were easy to him. But most importantly. His friends would never see him again. That's what destroyed Pitts, because that was his best friend. Out of everyone in the world, Steven Meeks and Gearad Pitts were always going to be best friends till the end.

When Rebetta found out, she wanted to drop everything. She told Pitts that she would call him tomorrow, wondering if he had any more news about Meeks and his funeral services. After that, she collapsed to the ground and cried. She hadn't cried like that since Neil went away... or when Rose Carmichael passed away in 1967.

Old age caught up with Rose. She had developed breast cancer in 1966. Stage four. She remembered begging the doctor to do anything that they could to make sure she was okay and that she would beat it.  They told her that they would try everything in their power to make sure she moved past it. But unfortunately, the technology was up in their favor.

She passed away on a Saturday night. Rebetta remembered sitting there with her mother, father and her older brother which she never talked to as she held onto Roses' hand. She didn't look like her lively self. She was unrecognizable. And just like that, Rose was dead.

She hadn't felt that kind of pain. Not in seven years when Neil Perry left her life. She remembered her mother trying to comfort her, but she didn't care. Her mother was never there for her when she needed her the most. She didn't like to hold onto grudges for a very long time. But whenever she looked at her mother, all she did was get angry.

Get angry by the fact that her mother diminished her character when she was only a teenager. Believing that she shouldn't follow her dreams and go to this preparatory school. Eventually, they found out about Rose withdrawing Rebetta from Welton. Rose never heard the end of it. That's what hurt Rebetta the most, because she didn't know half of the things that went on.

She hadn't talked to her family since. It wasn't that she hated them. But the fact that now that her one parental figure was gone, they slowly regretted how they treated her. Rebetta forgave them. But she never forgot too. Sometimes, it was better to keep distance than no distance at all.