Hey, Sarge

Hey Sarge, remember me?

Pip's heart seemed to stop for a moment. Her phone screen stared back at her, the tiny pixels forming the letters. Could it be? After one year, eight months, and 16 days? Her hands seemed to shake as she started to type.

Of course I do, I would hope college hasn't robbed me of all my brain cells...yet.

Her phone vibrated again, and a banner appeared at the top of her screen—an incoming call from Ravi. Her heart began to pound, what seemed like a million beats per minute. Although if that were actually true, she'd probably be dead. No, Pip. Just answer the call like a normal person. Stop ruining it. Her fingers still trembling, she laid her thumb on the green button and held the phone up to her ear.

"H-hello?" she spoke.

"Pip?" Her entire self seemed to burst at the sound of his voice. How had she survived without it for so long?

"Ravi!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, Pip, I-I can't tell you how good it is to hear your voice again," he said, his voice breaking at the end.

"I was going to say the exact same thing," Pip replied happily. She could barely hold back her excitement. "I-did it...?" He knew exactly what she was going to ask.

"We did it, Sarge. You did it." Pip wanted nothing but to drop to the ground and cry. Relief flooded through her. She wanted to drown herself in his words, let them overtake her completely.

"I-" her voice broke. She heard Ravi let out a short, happy breath–or laugh for that matter.

"So, when can I see you again, trouble?" Pip had to compose herself for a moment.

"As soon as I finish packing."

                                                                                 *************

Fifteen minutes away. Stupid traffic.

See you soon, Sarge. Try not to cause any car accidents.

Pip smiled as she put her phone down on the seat next to her. She couldn't help but feel nervous. Of course, she hadn't stopped thinking about him for one single day. Being away for so long had left a wound in her heart. But what if things were different? After almost two years, that was very probable. What if he was different? Taller? Faded dimple, straightened smile, their hands like two puzzle pieces that weren't supposed to go together? 

After what seemed like an hour, she turned into the familiar streets of her town. She drove past the library and the hospital until finally, she drove into a familiar driveway. She stepped out of her car and typed a quick message.

I'm outside.

No sooner than five seconds after she pressed send, the front door opened. And there he was. The same as he always had been. It was as though she never left. His crooked smile broke across his face.

"Pip!" He leaped down the steps of the porch and lifted her into a strong embrace. He twirled her around and she laughed, burying her face into his neck. He set her down and stared into her eyes, his brown eyes twinkling in the sparkling sunlight. "I missed you, Sarge," he croaked, wiping his eyes on his sleeve.

"Me too," she whispered. He pulled her close, and she stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Her fingers ran gently through his hair. He folded his arms around her back and kissed her like never before. His fingers slipped through her long hair. Pip didn't care if Ravi's parents could see them, or any passerby. All that mattered was that she was back where she belonged. With him.

Pip slid her hand into Ravi's. They fit perfectly. He squeezed her hand and ran his thumb over her skin, making it tingle where his skin made contact with hers. It was like being away had confirmed her feelings for him even more. She never wanted to be without him again.

"I can't believe you're back," he said, smiling at her.

"What? Thought you could get rid of me so easily?" she replied, leaning against him for a few seconds as they walked. A gentle April breeze pushed Pip's hair back, and she tilted her face into the sun. She felt Ravi's gaze on her. "What?" she asked again, looking up at Ravi. He smirked, his dimple becoming even more prominent.

"Nothing. You just look really beautiful right now." Pip felt her face flush.

"I could say the same thing."

"Ah-ha! So you finally admit it. I think you meant to say, 'Oh, Ravi, you're the most handsome person to ever walk this earth, and I'm extremely lucky to have met you.'"

"I never said that," Pip said, laughing.

"But you were thinking it."

"Whatever," she laughed again. "You still up for dinner with my family?"

"Wouldn't miss it. How did they react to seeing you?"

"Oh, just as I expected. Mom was very emotional and wouldn't stop hugging me, Dad wouldn't stop making terrible jokes, and Josh gave me a quick hug and went back to playing FIFA." Ravi laughed. Butterflies flapped their wings at the sound of it.

"Yep. Sounds pretty accurate." As they walked through the town, it was as though everything was perfect. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, the breeze was blowing gently, and she was back with her soulmate.

"I love you," she said leaning into him again.

"Love you too, Sarge," he replied, resting his head on hers.