-PROLOGUE-

-LOGAN-

As I stepped into the dimly lit alley, the stench of decay mingled with the tension in the air. I already know where I need to be. I'm not your typical homicide detective, and I'm not saying this to boost my ego...I have psychic ability passed down through the women in my family. It's a gift that allows me to tap into the minds of the criminals I hunt down.

Tonight, my senses were on high alert. I smell blood. I can almost taste it. He's been in a frenzy since I made contact with his twisted mind. I could feel the darkness that surrounded me, the hostility that hung in the air like a thick fog. It was the signature of the sadistic serial killer I had pursued for months.

My heart pounded as I followed an otherworldly trail of psychic impressions. The images and emotions flooded my mind like a torrent of nightmares. It was a twisted mosaic of violence, fear, and suffering that only someone like me could decipher. It's a small price to pay to put these criminals behind bars.

I turned a corner, and there he was - the monster I've been after. His eyes gleamed with sick pleasure as he hovered over a terrified young girl. She couldn't have been more than twenty years old, her tear-soaked face contorted in a silent scream.

Time slowed as I focused my ESP abilities, honing in on the killer's mind. I could sense his intent, his twisted desire to end this girl's life. It was a gruesome ballet of gore and violence, but I refused to let it play out.

With a surge of mental energy, I entered his mind, forcing him to freeze. The girl's terrified sobs echoed in the stillness as I approached, my gun drawn. There was a cold determination in my eyes, a resolve born from years of subjecting myself to this. I didn't want to use my gift for a lofty life, like my sister. I want to make a difference, no matter the price I pay.

I whispered words of reassurance to the trembling girl, never breaking my gaze on the sadistic killer. My ESP abilities held him in a paralyzing grip, rendering him powerless. It was a battle of wills, but I had the upper hand.

"It's you..." he whispered fervently.

"Drop your weapon," I ordered. "It's over."

I lessen my grip enough to allow him to do so. I hadn't been able to do that before. It's as if my power grows after each case. I don't let on how mentally exhausted and sick I've become, combing through his mind to find him. This always took a toll on me, but it was worse to sit by and do nothing. That's why I became a detective.

"Drop it," I repeat sharply. "Now."

"He's been waiting for you," he sighs happily.

"Who?" I ask, almost taken off-guard. I hadn't felt any alters in his mind. "Who the hell is waiting for me?"

"You'll find out soon enough," he giggles. "I'm nothing more than a messenger."

With a manic grin, he drops the switchblade he's been using. Backup sirens wailed in the distance, growing louder with each passing second. I knew I had to act fast. My head was pounding, and it worsened as I disarmed the killer, allowing the police to apprehend him.

I had saved the young girl from a fate worse than death and the city from another gruesome murder. As they led the killer away in handcuffs, I let out a sigh of relief as the EMTs escorted the girl to an ambulance.

             ************************

"Great work today, Kade," Captain Blake congratulates me. "Get some rest, you damn sure earned it."

I nod, not trusting myself to keep my lunch down. He casts one last look over my face, and I know he's concerned: the pale, clammy skin, the dark circles that make my eyes brighter than they already are...he has no idea the sacrifices I make to solve my cases. He can't know.