-03-

-SALIM-

"I've brought your...sugary coffee," I nudged Raven.

"Thanks, Salim," Raven gushed, kissing my cheek before she took a sip of the caramel monstrosity that she enjoys.

"I will never understand how you can drink that," I chuckled.

"And I will never understand the appeal of black coffee and unsweetened tea," she counters. "But opposites attract."

I sit down next to her as she boots up the nerve center that was set up for her, sipping that frothy monstrosity and humming with satisfaction as she went through the software.

"...Is it normal for the Council to send someone over without consulting the hunters in the area?" I wonder out loud.

"Only if the situation calls for it," Raven informs me.

"Does that happen often?" Nick asks.

"...No," Raven answers him in a somber tone. "It doesn't. The last time it's happened on record was centuries ago...when the treaty was drafted in the first place."

"Shit," I swore as I wondered what this could mean.

As a Hunter that works with the Council, I stand in awe of its diversity, a convergence of beings from different realms and walks of life. Here, humans, Shifters, vampires, and witches convene under the age-old treaty, forged centuries ago in the crucible of conflict and wisdom. Each member brings their unique strengths and perspectives to the table, creating a tapestry of unity amidst diversity.

In a way, it's what I've always wanted: people putting aside their differences for the better. There is more at stake than senseless hatred-- dangerous threats that could care less about the color of your skin, nationality, beliefs, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Blood runs the same.

In the building where the Council meets there is a chamber, adorned with symbols of our shared history, we deliberate with gravity and respect. The treaties and accords, weathered by time, serve as our guiding principles, reminding us of the importance of collaboration and understanding in the face of adversity.

Within our ranks, Hunters stand as guardians of that peace, their duty etched in their eyes as they vigilantly patrol the boundaries of our territories. Tasked with confronting any threat to our fragile equilibrium, they embody the valor and resilience of our collective resolve.

After surviving the House of Ashes, CENTCOM had a lot of questions for us that we couldn't answer. The Council stepped in almost immediately. Inadvertently, the war had brought us to a nest of ancient vampires...a species from another planet. The ancient vampires of Earth still looked like humans, without horns or fangs. The shepherds were guarding the temple, and our fight disturbed it.

The Council handled CENTCOM, and we were honorably discharged. We had to sign NDAs, and Zain and I were given Visas. Then they offered us jobs. We knew that we wouldn't be able to return to normal life after the hell we've been through, and we also knew that we couldn't let what happened to us happen to others.

Nick, Jason, Mike, and I became Hunters, and Merwin opted to retire and stay with his wife. Joey took on a research role, travelling all over the world in search of powerful artifacts for the Council. Rachel and Eric had been Hunters as well, until they worked their way up to becoming the human members of the Council after the previous representatives retired.