Chapter 8

"Daryl, calm down!" Melina mustered up all the strength she had and looked him straight in the eye. "This right here, this isn't helping my brother, this isn't helping your friends, this isn't helping anyone. It's just making things worse!"

---

"Pete, drive!" David yelled in alarm as Petes car swerved between two walkers. Right ahead of them, Rick's truck was plowing a hole in the massive herd of walkers.

"I told them we could make it!" Pete stomped on the gas, veering around a large cluster of screeching walkers. "We'll prove them all wrong, just you wait!"

"Pete!" David pointed ahead at another cluster of walkers. "They're coming!" Pete slammed down the gas pedal once again, but the car didn't accelerate. Instead, the engine puttered and stopped completely. Petes eyes diverted to the fuel meter. The needle read that it was empty. "Pete, drive! Why are we stopped?"

"David, shut up! The gas is out! Find a weapon and get out of the car! We can make it to the truck if we get out now!" David whimpered.

"I'm not leaving the car, Pete. I don't want to go out there."

"David, you gotta let it go, man! Come on!" Already, walkers were surrounding the yellow Lamborghini. David began to cry. Pete cursed. "David, get out of the damn car!"

Rick looked into his rearview mirror. "Michonne, they stopped! Why the hell did they stop? What are they doing?" Walkers surrounded Petes car. Rick watched as the driver side door opened up and Pete emerged, looking shaken. He yelled something indiscernible.

"Where's David?" Michonne looked into her rearview mirror in alarm.

"There!" Rick pointed at the car. David was sitting in the passenger seat and wouldn't budge, despite Petes coaxing. "Pete, leave him!" screamed Rick. "He's gonna get you killed!"

"I can't leave him!" yelled Pete. He ran around to the passenger side door and wrenched it open. David was huddled into a shivering, whimpering heap. "DAVID, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE CAR OR WERE BOTH GONNA DIE!" He seized Davids wrists and pulled his limp body from the car seat. The walkers were closing in. They were running out of time. "David, stand up!" Pete kicked an incoming walker straight in the face, decapitating it.

"Hurry!" yelled Rick. "If he wants to stay then let him stay!"

"Drop the tailgate, were coming!" Pete hoisted David up onto his shoulder. "You're gonna have to walk!" he screamed. "I can't move fast enough!" Suddenly a huge walker seized Pete from behind. David slid off of Petes shoulder and landed on his feet, just in time to see Pete pinned to the ground by multiple walkers. The cluster that had been encircling the car moved in for the kill.

"David, run!" Pete's voice gurgled from underneath the walkers. "Don't look back! I'm dead!" David took one last look at his fallen friend and bolted for the safety of the truck ahead.