Prolouge

Commander Rio Tanaka is stressed, more stressed than he had ever been. He had seen Zuikaku come home near dead clad in cuts and burn marks, her flight deck half gone, he had seen her being mistreated and abused by her seniors. Yet nothing, nothing could prepare him for the screaming that had happened hours earlier.

She was so strong-willed, so hot-headed. After seeing her face the worst of the sirens, her seniors' betrayal at the sanctuary. However tonight there was no doubt in his mind this was the worst suffering she had ever experienced.

Another part of him is proud now to be a father which contorted into terror of failing his new son. How could he be there for him when he was always at base and he couldn't take him there. God knows what high command would do to the boy if they ever found out.  Alas, he could not run away; he would never forgive himself if he did. 

"Commander…Commander!"

Tanaka jolted back to reality being greeted by The face of Shoukaku.

" How long was I out?"

"A few minutes," she said "Commander, I can see how you are worried about this"

"Was I that obvious"

"Your mumbling made your feelings obvious."Shoukaku sighed, her tone laced with solace for her in-law. 

"I really need to work on that. One of these days I swear to God you girls are gonna go too far in trying to take care or impress me." He chuckled, meeting the crane's diamond-color eyes.

"One of the many sentiments I share with my sister, for better or worse." She mumbled, taking a seat next to the commander.

"Tanaka…''Shoukaku put a single hand on his back and she could feel his body quiver to its core, Tanaka tried to resist the warm gesture. She had always seen a stoic soul behind those emerald eyes. But to the cranes' surprise, he soon changed tact and accepted her hand.

"I cannot believe how useless I am."

The commander expected some words of encouragement from the crane but his aghast when she instead gives him a hot, hard smack to the face. Multiple people saw them and could only assume they were mother and son.

"Sorry commander, but you need to listen."

She takes a breath before speaking. Her voice gains Insight and an idiom of fire, like that of the leader of a nation speaking to his troops before battle.

" How would you say Unicorn feels when you sacrifice what little free time you have to have a tea party with her? Do you think Roon does not appreciate you being the only commander who has not pushed her away when everyone else has? Hipper, no matter how many times she tosses you aside, you come back? And countless other examples."

"But above all the one example that has stood out most to me is how you treat me and my sister. Whenever Zuikaku and I return to the base bloody and battered you are the only person to not solder her but embrace her. You're the only person who would set their clock back just so we would think she did not sleep in. When Akagi betrayed us you were the only one who listened to us and comforted us.

"Thank you Shoukaku, I needed that."

"We're now siblings, it is only natural we be there for each other when needed." She gleamed

"Commander Tanaka, your wife is ready for you."

"Well then, shall we get going?"

The only thing the two could hear for what seemed like an eternity was the slightly metallic clap of their feet on the floor. Then they entered the hallway, nurses rushed a person on a stretcher to intensive care. They could hear the distant chatter of patients' televisions. They kept moving the intercom blaring out codes as they found their destination room 109. 

Inside the room lying on the bed was Zuikaku. Sweat flowed freely against her brown hair as heavy breathing escaped her lips. Her ponytail flowed with grace with air from nearby fans, she was currently clad in a blue hospital gown, something so tacky yet like all things she added her sense of pride to it even managing to make it seem elegant. 

"Hello Dear," her husband greeted her with a kiss on the forehead while her sister went in for a hug.

"She put a single finger to her pursed lips gesturing the two be quiet. Shoukaku gasped looking down in her arms was her new nephew."

He opened his amber eyes, taking the whole world in for the first time. He wails but is soon embraced by his mother, silencing the boy. He was cute and chubby like most infants were. The commander patted the boy's head, getting his gloves dirty with amniotic fluid.

"Watashitachi no kodomo"

The commander looked confused at his wife before Shoukaku clued him in.

"It means our baby boy."

"Well Zui, have you thought of a name for our baby boy?"

"Ebisu," she replied.

"The God of luck and fisherman?"

"Is there something wrong with it sister?"Zuikaku turned her head looking for her sister's approval.

"No, it's a beautiful name, who's a cute Ebisu."

She began tickling Ebisu before playing a melody. He slowly closed his eyes and soon fell fast asleep.

Zuikaku and the commander looked down at their now sleeping child. The commander and Zuikaku have a new reason to fight the sirens. A new reason to survive. A new joy that will brighten their lives in this opaque war.