× Chapter Four

(TW: mention of m*rder at the end of the chapter. If you are uncomfortable with reading that, when you see the "×+×", skip ahead to the next chapter. I promise, you won't miss much.)

"Oh, don't worry. I know exactly what to do."
~

I stood there in shock, not knowing what to do or what to say.

"Me? Are you sure he meant me?" I asked, panicking.

"Um, you are Cassandra De La Carté, right?" Sharp looked embarrassed. "That's who Lucius told me to get. If you could point me in the right direction-"

"No, I'm Cassandra." I sighed.

"I thought you knew that, Sharp." Jackson butted in. "I mean, after seventy-five years stuck on a hill with around eighty people, at least I know everyone."

"Well, all I do is send messages." Sharp defended. "But it would help if I did learn everyone's names..."

"Anyways," I butted in, since everyone seemed to get off-track today. "Where do I need to go?"

"Just go sit in the lobby at the Hall. He'll call you in the Meeting Room when it's time."

"Thanks. See you guys later..?" I looked at AK, our "destination planner".

"Outdoor Gym." AK decided.

"Alright. See you."

AK, Samuel, and Jackson all waved goodbye as I trudged up to the Hall. Sharp ran on down to Ken-Mac, probably to deliver another message. What a weird guy, I thought.

The lobby of the Hall is on the front side of the building, below the loft. It connected the main gym area to the Meeting Room, which was rarely used. People sometimes used it for parties or to be alone, but hardly for an actual meeting.

When I entered the lobby, I noticed that I wasn't the only one in there. Kari, another girl who didn't talk to anyone much, was sitting on the couch, probably waiting on the same thing I was. At least its not just me, it's other people as well.

"You can sit down anywhere." Kari told me. "He'll call you in when it's your turn."

"Uh, thanks." I responded, awkwardly. I sat down in a tattered leather chair, facing the Meeting Room. The once-glass walls were replaced with sturdy wooden ones, but the glass doors were still there. I couldn't see Lucius through them, though, even though I could see Libby, another girl who stayed in the bottom cabin.

A few minutes passed until Libby walked out of the Meeting Room. "Kari?" Lucius said, peeking out his head enough to look and see who was waiting.

Then, the same weird thing that happened this morning happened again. Lucius mad eye contact with me again, same expression and everything. This time, I held his gaze, unsure of what to do.

Lucius finally looked away when Kari stood up and walked into the Meeting Room. Yikes, that was weird. I thought. So that's why he looked at me like that this morning. He's seriously never done that before... has he done that to all the others like me?

I felt awkward sitting alone on the chair, worrying more than I have ever before. My thoughts felt like a jumbled mess, scared of what could happen. Please let it not be me. He's ruined out lives. If only-

"Hey." I jumped up, startled, and turned around to see Jackson standing behind the chair.

"Don't ever do that again!" I demanded, jokingly. "You scared me out of my mind!"

"Yeah, well, technically I did." Jackson admitted. "I came inside the Hall to get a drink. I couldnt help to hear your thoughts, since you are really worried..."

"Sorry. It's fine. I have a habit of overreacting when something like this happens."

We both paused for a moment. I was looking down at my feet, Jackson was probably doing the same.

"You were doing the same this morning, at the Curve." Jackson finally blurted out.

I looked up and stared at Jackson in bewilderment. "How do you know?"

"When someone has a really strong feeling, their thoughts stand out more than anyone else's. One time, Lucius was mad enough I could make out a few words. After the badminton match, you were happy enough that your thoughts were louder than everyone else's."

I thought for a moment. "That makes sense."

"Look," Jackson started. "I-"

"Cassandra!" I turned around to see Kari exiting the Meeting Room and Lucius, this time standing in the doorway, looking angry.

"I better be going," Jackson said, looking scared. "See ya."

"Jackson-"

"Miss De La Carté, please, I don't have all day." Lucius demanded.

I looked at Jackson again, putting my hand on his shoulder. "Hey. Whatever it is, you'll be fine."

"Miss-"

"I'm on way, if you'll be considerate." I responded, agitated. The nerve. Another reason no one likes Lucius, he's rude.

"You don't understand, Cass. I've got to go." Jackson sped-walked off.

"Cassandra, please. I have more people to attain to."

"Coming." Jerk.

×+×

I sat down in a uncomfortable red chair, opposite Lucius, by the meeting table. I could feel the tension in the air, seemingly needed to deal with him.

"So, Cassandra De La Carté." Lucius began. "That is, not 'Cart' but 'Cart-tay'."

"Correct." Few words as possible. That's what I need to do.

"Age twenty-one, thirteen at the time of-"

"Yes"

"Okay," Lucius said, abruptly. "I'm twenty-three, since you know, I was a camp counselor at the time. Technically, I'm ten years older than you, but that doesn't matter now."

You just made yourself sound like a creep, I thought. And Jackson, I hope you were close enough to hear that.

I could imagine the laughter Jackson would of let out right now. I do think of him a lot, I thought. Maybe I do-

"Current Ken-Mac Badminton and Tetherball Champ." Lucius interrupted my thoughts. "Nice record, were you the one who broke the rope on the tetherba-"

"No." I interrupted, for the second time. "That was Mage; he was upset for losing against me."

"Oh." Lucius murmured. "Okay, um, do you think you would be a great leader?"

What type of question is that? "Uh, I guess."

"Can you... be a great example for others?"

"Uh, sure." Where is he going with this?

"Oh, and last question, would you be willing to kill someone you love?"

"What?!"