Looking For Home

I was born in Ashland, Kentucky in the winter of 1972. I was a typical child of a single mom growing up doing normal things that kids do until I was about eight and noticed things changing. Changing in a way that was not normal and most normal people would even deem crazy. Things that was supernatural in nature. Things normal eight year olds should never see or feel.

Chapter One

Only Eight And All Seeing

Summer of 1980. I was eight years old with the only worries in the world was pleasing my mom, practicing my gymnastics, and playing with my friends. But this summer was not normal and it was time to grow up quick.

My mom was always gone working usually 12-20 hours a day. I hardly ever saw her except some on the weekends. My babysitter was either drinking or making out with her boyfriend. I don't think I remember her ever cooking a meal for me. I only remember her giving me cigarettes and alcohol in attempts to keep me quiet. Hell she use to send me to the store just to get her cigarettes. It got to the point that mom left me to myself and had the neighbors keep an eye on me from a distance.

That summer I learned to at least cook and do my own laundry. I would even surprise mom with dinner sometimes. But this led to too much freedom, and no protection against much of anything.

One night I was having a friend over for a sleep over. Again mom was at work so she had a baby sitter there with us. Needless to say we spent most time in my room. We were laughing and being silly like most kids. We didn't have TV's in bedrooms back then so we had to entertain ourselves. So we just talk, laugh, and dance around. For some reason though, I took a break to look out the window. I really don't know why I did but I couldn't look away. All the sudden there was a white ghostly shape that ran across the yard stopped and looked up and me and continued on. I looked at my friend and she asked if I saw that and part of me was relieved because I had been seeing things in the apartment every night, but I thought I was crazy. She proved I wasn't crazy which was great. The bad thing is I did not know what I was facing and when I approached my mom she would get defensive and make stay inside or my room. I didn't really understand why until I was much older and realize she was just protecting me.

My friend and I really did not discuss the ghost after that at least not for a month or so until we were with one of our other friends in the front yard of the apartment complex under a large oak tree that casted wonderful cooling shade on a hot day. As we were talking even though there was traffic on the nearby road you really could not here the noise. Almost like being stuck in tunnel vision. The wind was blowing but somehow not toughing us. And somehow we four eight year olds noticed that this was not normal, so not normal. Then the friend that was with me that month ago mentioned what we saw and the other girls a first laughed it off thinking we were messing with them. But in my friends voice you could just tell the scary truth of it. We talked a bit about ghost and supernatural things for what seemed like forever until someone mentioned doing a séance and they all looked at me. Why I had no clue because I sat there the whole time being quiet and just listening to them and everything around me taking in everything around me. Until, they wanted me to lead the séance.