xv. a little helium

chapter fifteen:
a little helium
—-

(beauty school - deftones)

the air was dense and breathes were thick as she made sure to watch out for vines

the air was dense and breathes were thick as she made sure to watch out for vines. robin stuck close to Harley as Eddie and Steve followed close behind and Nancy led the way to the wheeler home.

every breath harley breathed, she felt as though her heart raddled in her ribs. her baby pink lips now ripped and burnt red. cuts were gently placed on her bare arms and around her hands, though she wasn't cold.

her shoulders and torso were covered in thick jean that secluded heat. she pulled her pale fingers, clasped them over the in of the jacket. pulling it closer to her body. taking in a swift of the man that pondered behind her.

truly yet indefinitely, she felt she could only slow down to walk beside Eddie but instead chose to continue walking as she was; knowing that the closest she needed to him was with his vest.

there was an ephemeral time where she could feel the slightest bit of scintilla. she found herself pulling at invisible strings from an invisible sweater. though when you pull it just the slightest, you've only just started. but when you keep pulling, eventually there is no sweater. just the feeling of yarn in which used to be knitted.

inevitably, that's how she felt. harley wasn't a casually negative person. what if by pulling those strings scared Eddie. what if by her using negativity as a coping mechanism, she found her way into scaring Eddie.

though she hadn't been in defenestration of Eddie, she just though distance was the only was to keep him from worrying; if he even did. so she continued to walk at the pace as she was.

pulling herself out of her reverie, Harley couldn't help but notice the side glances she had been receiving from Robin. Robin, one who had all in the world to say, had nothing to say to Harley. and Harley genuinely had no words. until her thoughts were interrupted by a raspy voice.

"hey Har." the girls voice almost sounded questioning.

"hey Rob."

"i'm sorry. for not being converse with you i mean. i know what your going through and you know how much i talk, but honestly i've been truly, utterly, royally scared for you. and the thought of ever loosing you completely stinks. and until know, i couldn't find the words to speak to you. and i'm so sorry Har." Robins voice broke as she rotated her body entirely to the girl beside her.   

"woah, robin. it's okay. really. i haven't um- conversed with you a lot either. and i'm sorry for not communicating with you." Harley heart has immediately broke hearing Robins voice. she hated that Robin felt guilty about being distant because it wasn't her fault.