A Faithful Coach (1934)

- 1934 -

Toby, the tram engine has been working on his small line for quite some time now, he missed his siblings dearly and even missed the harbour he use to work at. But he enjoyed his new life on his branch line much more. It was more peaceful and the people along the line were very friendly.

The farmers enjoyed Toby too. "You are reliable," they said, "we will come to you when we need our goods to be taken to market!"

There was, however, a problem that needed to be solved. The line had only been opened recently and the hustle and bustle of it had made organising rolling stock for it quite difficult. Trucks weren't a bother, they always came in and out from Toby's junction. But coaches did the same, one day the driver would introduce a new coach to Toby, only for it to be sent back to where it came from.

Toby grumbled about this dreadfully. "A branch line needs to have its designated coach," he would say, "I can't just keep getting a new coach and pray it will stay the next day."

The people along the line also shared Toby's complaints and one day, Toby's driver came to the shed with news. "Control is sending a new coach for us for a trial run," he said, "if things go well she might be our permanent coach on the line!"

"When will she arrive?" asked Toby excitedly.

"I believe today," smiled the driver.

And he was right, when Toby trundled to his junction, he found that one of the tank engines had brought a coach from the works, he could tell, she had sparkling new parts and a new coat of paint which glistened in the sunlight.

"This is Hannah," said the tank engine, "she'll be your coach for today." He then gave a judgemental sniff at the tram engine. "Good luck."

Toby just ignored him as the engine left back up the mainline. Once he had gone, Toby smiled at the new coach. "Hello," he greeted, "my name is Toby."

"'Ello Toby!" exclaimed Hannah, "I'm really excited to be working with you!"

The excitement and loudness caught the tram engine off guard, but he gave a kind smile to the coach. "So am I," he replied.

Soon enough, he buffered up to her and took her to the platform. The passengers were delighted to see a sparkling new coach today. Toby was a little unsure however, throughout the entire time he had worked with Hannah, she had been bubbly and impatient. And he had only brought her to the platform!

"That was soooooo slow," said Hannah loudly, "couldn't you have done that quicker?"

"Perhaps," Toby said, "but I'm not designed to be quick. I was designed to be safe and careful."

"But that's boring," huffed Hannah, she then heard a loud shrill of a whistle and a massive tender engine puffed quickly by with a passenger train, it didn't stop for Toby and kept on going, gliding away with their coaches behind. Hannah was amazed. "Look how fast that engine's going!" she squeaked, "go that fast Toby! Plllleeeeaaaasse."

But Toby only huffed. "We'll go the speed I have always gone on this line," he replied sternly, "and that's that." He then blew his whistle when he heard the guard's whistle and began to trundle along out of the station and along his line.

At first, things went smoothly, Hannah did what she was told by Toby, but it wasn't long until she got bored. "Go faster!" she barked.

Toby scowled but ignored her and kept puffing along at his own steady pace. Hannah rolled her eyes at this and decided to take action. Further down the line, Toby was coming to a crossing, it didn't have gates, so Toby always slowed in case someone was coming. But to his shock, before he could apply his breaks, Hannah bumped into him and pushed him forward. "Go on! Go on Toby!" she laughed.