Chapter 4~Jump scares

Jump scares can be some of the most scariest thing in a movie, or cartoon.

Category #3

A jump scare can basically make a film scarier, taking away your sense of security, frightening you when you least except it, or less scary by providing a release of the tension that you've built up.

If you except a jump scare but then there isn't one, it builds up tension, make you worried when it's going to happen. Then all the sudden a jump scare happens and you get frighten. That is how a jump scare basically works. It just really depends on the timing. We will go into detail with that later.

When not to use a jump scare 
The lack of a jump scare, the lack of security is what makes it scary.

That is why you have to use a jump scare correctly. If could just put a random jump scare into a movie, but if you do it multiple times, you just except another one. It takes away the point of a jump scare. This example is mostly used in movies for just comedy purposes and not for scaring the audience, these are mostly used in satire comedies or cartoons.

But if you add a jump scare into a perfect scene at the perfect time, it can make the scene or movie scarier.

Unless the jump scare is just not scary or made for comedic purpose only. Like in a cartoon, more specifically a kids cartoon. They can't just add a scary jump scare, they have to sometimes make it for jokes. (Scooby-Doo is a very popular example of this)

When to use a jump scare
What makes a jump scare actually scary? When it has the most effective use. Like we were talking about before. Like not using them at all, or actually have a jump scare that will rob us of our sense of comfort. You have to use a jump scare properly to make it scary.
(You can find a YouTube video just about this which explains a jumpscare way better than me and also has a random Jumpscare in the video which is the best part since it gives a perfect example)

This is the last category, please read the last chapter for more information if you're interested in this book. Thank you.