Chapter 3

The Tuesday after the event, Draven had already planned to go into town when he had a spare moment. He wanted to see George's shop, and meet the girl who baked all of the sweet things. He was still thinking about the blueberry muffins and cinnamon rolls.

He enjoyed the hustle of the market. There were so many unique sellers, everything from fresh cut meat to handmade dolls. There were some real talents, and he did his best to support everyone he could.

"King Draven," a young lady purred as she curtsied.

He frowned. He was always frowning, but this was a true frown. Just by the sound of his name from her lips, he knew what this was really about.

"Hello," he said, trying to carry on through the crowded streets. The lady followed closely, and he had no choice but to slow down.

"I've heard you are looking for a wife. Let me introduce myself. I am-"

"I do not care," Draven interrupted, keeping his voice low as he stepped closer to her. The truth was, she would be pretty if she did not feel the need to flaunt herself in a self righteous manner. "I am not seeking a wife. I do not appreciate rumors being spread, and if I catch whoever is starting said rumors, there will be consequences. Do you understand?"

"Yes," she squeaked. Her cheeks were red, and she quickly turned and walked away.

He was not a seeking a wife. Who the fuck was saying that shit? He had never even considered the idea of marrying because he did not desire what his parents had. He did not desire a relationship built around money and status and power.

If only she had just tried to talk to him like a normal human being. He was not an object.

George's bread shop was packed full of customers, and the jolly old man was at the center of it all. Draven waited patiently until it mostly cleared out, enjoying the lovely smells and happy animated people.

"King Draven," George greeted politely. He gave a short bow, before offering his hand for a shake. "How do you do, sir? I can't say I'm surprised to see you here."

"I have been dreaming of cinnamon rolls since Sunday's brunch," Draven said.

George nodded, "As have many folks. Unfortunately, I am already sold out, but if you want to place an order for Thursday, I can have Lynetta herself deliver them. She's ny baker."

"I would appreciate that. I have a council meeting, and I will place a generous order, as long as it will not be too much for your baker."

George smiled, agreeing, grateful for the business. He began pulling trays out of his front displays, offering his king whatever he desired to sample.

"Everything is so good," Draven said, eating a cream puff, and taking a cookie.

"Come back here. Let me show you my kitchen, and you can meet Lynetta to start your order."

Draven had pictured an old lady, maybe even George's wife, when he thought of the baker, but he definitely wasn't expecting her.

She was petite with blonde hair that was almost brown in some places. It was braided neatly down her back.

She turned and gave a timid smile when they entered, greeting him respectfully as everyone always did. He took note of her tired but lovely features.

"King Draven, this is Lynetta Gail," George introduced. The bell on the front door jingled and he excused himself back to the front.

"Hello," Lynetta said softly. It was peculiar. She didn't seem to pay him much attention after the greeting. She simply turned back to her task, and Draven was a bit stunned. Her voice was light and airy, like a brush of wind against his cheek.

"You are the famous cinnamon roll maker," he said, hoping she would turn around so he could catch another glimpse of her pretty features.

He saw her smile, and he almost smiled himself.  

"I heard George tell you that you could place an order," she said, finally turning back around. "But because of us being the head chefs for your Royal Brunch, I am swamped. I do not think I will be able to fulfill a large order."

She was denying him? This felt so informal. He was confused and he frowned. "You could come into work tomorrow," he suggested.

She frowned back, and he did not enjoy seeing her without a smile. She looked more vulnerable, more exhausted. "I have other jobs, My King."

"Do you bake for someone else?" Draven inquired.

"No. I only bake for George."

Draven crossed his arms over his chest. "I want cinnamon rolls. I do not mind waiting until next Tuesday, or whenever is convenient for you, Lynetta." He did not understand why it seemed like she was brushing him off.

"Of course, Your Highness. George has an order form for you to fill out." She said it dismissively as she continued her task, and Draven took that as his cue to leave her alone. He noticed her cheeks turning pink just as he turned, and in some way that satisfied him to know that she was not totally immune to his presence.

George smiled as Draven returned from the kitchen. He offered the king a clipboard with a form to fill out.

"Lynetta told me she was unavailable for delivery Thursday, so whenever is convenient for her," Draven said.

"Lynetta does not take too well to people. She has a lot on her plate. If she can make them Thursday, I will deliver them myself."

Draven shook his head. "That's okay. You would have to close your shop to do that. I will wait until she can deliver them. Thank you, George."

Draven was confused and thought the whole encounter was strange. Everyone always did whatever the fuck he asked, except her. Lynetta Gail. Her honesty and bluntness was refreshing, and he began planning ways to get to know her whenever she delivered his sweets. He needed to get to know her.