Chapter 8

Rose was determined to find a way to escape prison. But after six hours of pulling at the bars of her five inches by six inches window and trying to pick and break the door, she started to feel hopeless. She couldn't do anything. She was stuck there, with no way out. She failed her quest.

She must have tried everything. But she still couldn't escape. At some time before dawn, she started growing drowsy. So she lay down on the floor and fell into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rose woke to someone calling her name from the other side of her prison cell. "Psst. Rose, Rose wake up!" the person said. Startled, she realized that the voice belonged to Tristan.

"Tristan? What are you doing here!" she hissed through the door.

"What do you think I'm doing? Breaking you out of course." Tristan replied. Before she could reply, Tristan had opened the door of her cell.

"How did you do that?" Rose asked in awe. He was standing there just outside her cell door wearing a simple shirt and jeans, a small bag hooked around his belt loops, he looked like a hero. She stood up, dusted herself off, and tried her best to not look foolish with her bed... well, floorhead.

"The magic is called stealing the keys of the guard." He said, jiggling a pair of keys in front of her face. "Nice floorhead by the way."

"Shut up!" She exclaimed, sticking her tongue out at him. "How did you know I was in prison anyway?" she asked, crossing her arms pouting.

"Hope sent me." He said simply.

"Wait, is that what you were hiding the day before?"

"Yes. Now be quiet, we have to get out of this town without being noticed."

Slowly, they started walking through the long lines of prison cells.

"Wait! The bag! I left it in the park. We have to get it." Rose face-palmed, suddenly remembering the bag that was left in the park. She hoped that no one had seen it yet. If someone took it, that would be disaster!

Tristan cursed under his breath. "Here's the plan, we break out of here, get your bag and quickly get the heck out of this town. Before we both end up in prison." He said. "No time for being slow now, we have to run."

Rose agreed and together, they ran out of prison as silently as they can.

Once they got outside, they slowed to a walk to catch their breaths.

"Why weren't there any guards in there? It was completely empty!" Rose asked Tristan in between pants.

"I had to make sure that we would get to escape. So I may have spent the whole night slowly ambushing each and every one of them, then I tied them up and locked them in a closet." Tristan said, turning sheepish.

Rose stared at him, eyes wide incredulous to what she had just heard. "So you mean to tell me that we could have taken our time getting out of there?" She exclaimed.

"I had to make sure. They could have gotten out already and signaled back up or something. Now let's go and get your bag." Running as he said so.

"Whatever." Rose grumbled. "Coming!" she yelled hurrying up to catch up to him.

"Why don't you scream it out to the world that we're here huh?" he teased.

"Ok, from now on I'm going to talk like this." Rose whispered mockingly. "Can you hear me, Tristan?" They looked at each other and the next thing she knew, they were laughing their heads off. "I'm happy he's back" she thought joyfully. But a part of her brain was thinking why he left. What was so important that he had to just disappear? Why couldn't he tell her? Did he even care? She stopped laughing, suddenly feeling deflated.