Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-Three

I Love You

The silver tang of blood, drifted through the air, jutting her conscience awake, again. The pain, pounding in her scull made her eyesight blur as she rolled over.

She had been discarded on the floor, in the corner of a classroom. She realised, Alaric was sitting at what she assumed to be her desk while Caroline was tied to a chair groaning in pain, while Elena watched.

She did her best, not to draw attention as she pulled herself up against the wall.

"Alaric stop" Elena cried getting up and trying to stop him but he pushed her back into her chair.

"Sit down" he demanded. "this keeps the vervain in her system. It's like inhaling razor blades with every breath," Alaric said, tying a vervain rope through Carline's mouth.

Caroline screamed, begging him to stop and she finally had enough.

"Phasmatos superous em animi!" she yelled, clenching her fist, making Alaric drop to the ground, grabbing his head as he screamed in pain. Alaric tried to claw himself off the ground.

Elena sprinted for the door but Alaric caught her. Unexpectedly, Alaric launched a stake at her foot making her flinch and she dropped her hold, on her fist, accidentally stopping the spell. He sped forwards grabbing her by the throat and cutting off her air supply.

Desperate, tears rolled down her cheek as she stared at him, determined not to give in. But she could feel herself starting to become light head as his fist scraped against her skin, producing a burning pain.

His eyes were hot with anger, as he snarled "you don't deserve to live" as he slammed her head against the wall. She screamed out in pain, dropping onto the ground. "You're the worst of them all," he said, standing over her.

She forced herself off the ground, pretending she was fine but her head was pounding and she couldn't see through her stared vision but she wouldn't let him see that. "Kill me then" she snapped, glaring at him. "Go on, kill me, then" she challenged.

"Oh, I will" he chortled, walking back over to Caroline, forcing the vervain ropes deeper down her throat.

"Stop it!" she snapped.

He dropped Caroline, he marched over to Elena, and grabbed a fist full of her hair, making her cry in pain. "Why are you doing this" Elena cried, tears welling in her eyes.

"To make it easier when you put her out of her misery" he declared, holding the stake out to Elena.

"What, no" she stammered, shaking her head.

"Isn't this what you wanted?" he asked, waving the stake at her. "For me to teach you, how to kill a vampire? Well, here's a vampire, Elena. Kill her" he demanded.

Esme laughed drawing his attention. "She won't do it, you know that," she said, shaking her head. "You know that you're just taunting her. Why?" she asked.

"No one asked you" Alaric snapped at her.

"Why am I here then?" she asked, desperate to keep his eyes on hers, drawing attention away from Caroline. "To play mind games with me?" she asked, tilting her head to the side.

He sped forwards, making her flinch. "Is that right?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at her. "Is that why you ran away with Klaus? You promised to help me but instead, you ran off with a vampire" he snarled with rage.

"He's a hybrid if you wanna get technical" she shrugged.

He glared at her again. "You left me to lose my mind, Diablos. You're the worst of them all" he declared.