3 - We Meet Again

Back to present //

I stared in utter disbelief at the smug face I saw in front of me. Bang Chan, the one person I so desperately wanted to avoid was likely moments away from recognizing me. I held my breath, hoping my newly dyed hair would at least delay it from clicking in his head.

Ari looked at me in shock, but her's was excitement. She knew who they were, but she just so happened to be a fan of their music. I didn't blame her for not believing me about my experience with them, I wouldn't have either.
I watched as she jumped and waved at Chan, hoping to catch his attention. He was far into his own world; dipping, jumping, and running around the stage with his signature red guitar in hand.

"Ya Ya Ya!" The four voices rang out, the crowd surging in energy. Everyone in the room seemed to know the lyrics but me, and all I could do was stand, dumbfounded. I turned to leave, I knew I couldn't handle sitting there and watching them bask in the spotlight. Ari's arm shot out and blocked me from leaving, a pleading look on her face.

"Jae please!" She yelled over the noise. "Just let me enjoy this!"
Looking at her face I knew I owed it to her to stay, she's dealt with enough of my bullshit to be worthy of an award.
I bit my lower lip in frustration and stepped back up next to her, keeping my face low. I hid my hand tapping to the beat, not allowing anyone around me to see me even remotely enjoying myself.

I stayed like that for the whole set, head down, forcing myself to forget who was playing and just listening to the sounds around me. Suddenly I heard Ari squealing, and quickly looked up to see the bassist, Minho, kneeling on stage looking right at her. She held out a heart, but he simply smirked and stood back up. I glanced at his face at the exact wrong moment, catching his eyes. He made an "o" with his mouth and glanced at Chan, but he was paying no attention to Minho.

As the set ended, Chan stepped back up to the mic stand, slicked in sweat and swaying. I took this time to study him, noting how he seemed to have gotten even more muscular since I'd last seen him. His hair was no longer black but dark brown, slightly curly. He wore dual face chains that crossed on his nose bridge, dark smudges of black and red eye makeup only deepening his gaze.
"We are Stray Kids!" His voice echoed across the sea of cheering fans as he scanned the crowd once more.

Horrified, we made eye contact.
He looked at me blankly at first, then a slow grin spread across his face as he licked his lips. I put on my harshest death mask, glaring as hard as I physically could without looking ridiculous. He shot me a wink, pivoted on his heel, and made his way backstage.

"Jae? Are you good?" Ari questioned from beside me, having watched the interaction.
"Dickhead," I grumbled, reaching for my bag to grab my phone. I felt nothing  but the silk of my top.
My bag was gone.
"Jesus Christ," I cursed loudly. "I lost my bag Ari, I have to find it," I said hurriedly, whipping around in all directions looking for it.

"Oh Shit," she whispered, noticing my empty shoulder.
"Let me for try looking for some staff to see if they have a lost and found," she said, turning towards the back stage area. "You search the floor, I'm sure we'll find it, don't worry," she assured me.
As she set off I panic-searched the floor, slowly retracing my steps back to the bar. I crouched believe every seat, nearly crawling on the ground, likely looking like a complete lunatic.

"Lost something?" I recognized Changbin's voice from behind the counter.
I looked up at him, my eyes watering.
I was barely holding back tears, the alcohol had softened my demeanor to mush. Tonight had been too much, the whole experience of being recognized by Chan was humiliating and I just wanted to go home. But with no phone, that meant no ride apps, which meant no way back.