𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

Shelly couldn't help but cry as she walked into the room.

In front of her, was a lively looking, sitting up in his bed, Johnny.

He still had burns all over his body, but his eyes were brighter - and he was smiling.

"Shelly! What- Why are you crying? They haven't told us anything yet-" Johnny's eyes looked big and alarmed as he looked at Michelle.

"No- No I'm okay. I don't even know why I'm crying right now." Michelle laughed, as she sat in the chair next to Johnny's bed.

"I just can't believe you're up - and talking. It's just-" Michelle was interrupted when she heard the clearing of someone's throat.

It was Johnny's doctor - who Michelle learned was Dr. Owens.

"Good evening, I'm here with an update on Johnny."

Michelle knew would be good news, it had to be.

As the doctor began to explain Johnny's prognosis, everyone's face fell.

"When the roof collapsed on Mr. Cade, it shattered the lower part of his back, which also caused some of the nerves to fail as well. Johnny will be unable to walk until further notice."

He can't walk?

Johnny isn't actually okay.

"I'm terribly sorry to inform you like this."

"You can't fix it? You're a goddamn doctor! You should be able to do something!" Dallas shouted, then stormed out of the room, angrily.

"So - he's gonna need a wheelchair?" Ponyboy said quietly.

"Yes, and he will have to learn a completely new way of life unless things change."

As the doctor and Ponyboy went into the hallway to talk about accommodations for Johnny, Michelle turned her head toward a teary-eyed Johnny.

"It's gonna be okay, Johnny. I promise."

"I know Shells, I've known for a while."

"What? What do you mean?"

"Ever since it happened, I could feel my legs slowly lose feeling, I guess."

It was a lot for Michelle to take in, she couldn't understand how Johnny felt, and what he must e going through.

"I'm sorry - I'm so, so sorry." Michelle cried as she held Johnny's hand.

"I'll be fine, I promise. And please don't cry, I hate seeing you like this."

"I'm sorry-" Michelle looked up at Johnny. Johnny had wiped the tears from Michelle's face.

Something must've happened because as Michelle looked into them, she saw his eyes change to a fearful look.

"Shelly, your nose-" Michelle looked down at the blanket, and there were drops of blood puddled on the blanket.

"Oh-" Michelle quickly turned around and grabbed a bunch of tissues, and held them up to her nose.

"Doc!" Johnny shouted, and came running in was Ponyboy and Dr. Owens.

"Ms. Parker, are you alright - tilt your head back." Dr. Owens told Michelle, getting more tissues for her.

"I think if we're this close, you can call me Michelle." Michelle laughed.

"Alright, Michelle. Ponyboy, grab her wheelchair, please."

"I can walk!" Michelle voiced.

"If your nose is bleeding, you could lose too much and lose consciousness. We don't want to risk that."