10

Steve was trying his absolute hardest to muster up the confidence and calm he felt the previous day as he walked into school. He was uncharacteristically early today. It made him feel slightly more in control being able to see everyone arrive.

Don't kid yourself. You just want to see when Eddie arrives.

Steve wanted to see how Eddie would react to him first. He had every intention of following Eddie's lead. Well, to a degree. Eddie was always over the top. So, Steve made sure to remember his jacket and pulled it on as he leaned against a column outside of the schools entrance and pretended to study a textbook. He doubted he was fooling anyone with the frequency he kept looking up from the book, scanning the paths leading up to him as fellow classmates slowly started trickling in. Eventually the buses started pulling in and Eddie's lean figure hopped down onto the sidewalk. He had his walkman in his hand and his headphones over his ears. His lips moved slightly as he mouthed the lyrics to whatever he was listening to and he seemed cheerful. Steve saw him well before Eddie saw Steve and butterflies exploded in Steve's stomach. The way Eddie sauntered around with his head held high despite the wide berth everyone seemed to give him was something Steve would envy forever. Steve was suddenly terribly sad. All he wanted to do was run over to Eddie, scoop him up, and cover him in kisses. Yet he was rooted to the spot. He ran a hand over his face and through his hair, shaking his head aggressively to try and derail the path his thoughts had gone down.

No labels. Just a person you have a massive, huge, scary crush on. That no one can find out about.

Finally, Eddie noticed Steve watching him and beelined over to him. Steve stiffened at Eddie's sudden change in direction and dropped his book. Eddie reached down to grab it for him and grinned.

"You were holding this upside down, you know."

Steve flushed red and snatched the book back.

"Hey, Munson."

"Hi, Steve."

Steve couldn't help a stupid smile creep onto his face. He was so enamored by Eddie's quirks.

"How was the rest of your day yesterday?" Steve asked, relaxing a little bit and leaning back against the column. Eddie opened his mouth to reply but was interrupted.

"The rest of his day? Did you guys hang out yesterday? What the hell?" Dustin appeared out of thin air and had apparently heard their conversation. "Why wasn't I invited? Are you guys friends?"

Steve's heart started racing.

Be cool. Be cool.

"Oh my god, Henderson. Take it down a notch," Eddie laughed carelessly, "turns out your boy Steve here is actually pretty cool."

"I've been trying to tell you that!" Dustin threw his hands up in the air and Steve joined in laughing.

"Is that why we're friends now?" Steve turned to Eddie, bumping his shoulder. "Good ol' Dustin was selling you on me?!"

"I never said that," Eddie pointed at Steve, lightly pressing his finger into Steve's chest. Steve gently pushed Eddie's hand away. He held on to Eddie's hand a beat longer than necessary, giving the tiniest squeeze. Eddie winked at him. Dustin narrowed his eyes.

"I don't like this." He stated, looking between both boys.

"Who knows, maybe Steve will join in our campaign now. Whatcha think, big boy?" Eddie leaned in with a devilish smile and Dustin gasped.

"Really?! Are you thinking about it Steve??"

Eddie looked at Steve expectantly, still smirking. Steve shook his head and rolled his eyes, running a hand through his hair.