Chapter 23

Chapter 23

My own face stared back at me through the outdated television screen, dead-set and determined, yet tinged with panic and frayed nerves. It was believable enough – to anybody else watching, I probably looked frightened and completely innocuous.

To those who knew what I was capable of – they knew otherwise.

Nate's knee bounced erratically next to mine. He didn't show it, but I could tell that his nerves were as exhausted as my own.

My voice projected well across the television and throughout my living room, surprising even myself with how fierce and believable I sounded. During the interview, I had been mere seconds away from screaming. Even closer still to breaking down and giving up. Now, watching it from the everyday viewer's perspective, there had been nothing even remotely suspect about my story.

"I, Jesabel Griffin, witnessed the death of Robert Blight on the twelfth of June," I spoke clearly, with no hesitation. "On that night, he and Jenny disappeared from Alistair entirely. But I believe Robbie to be dead. I know what I heard, and I know what I saw. My recollection of these events are the complete, unimpeded truth – and is the truest thing I know."

I breathed out a sigh of relief.

I did it. I had managed to lie and convince the entire town. The entire nation.

Nate squeezed my shoulder. "You did it, angel," he whispered.

The camera honed in on Amber's face, who was the picture of professionalism. "Whilst the police have been working tirelessly to find the missing victims, it is by way of Jesabel's testimony that they will be able to make their next breakthrough. Further evidence is needed, but rest assured that the answers that we need will find us – one way or another."

"We have reached out for statements from the families of the two victims. The prominent socialite Aurora Hockley and her husband have declined to comment on their daughter's disappearance. The family of missing person Robert Blight urges anyone with forthcoming information to please contact their local authorities."

That was where the television had cut off – suddenly going blank.

I froze.

Somebody had turned off the TV using the remote. The remote that had suddenly gone missing from my side.

"Tell me," a dangerous, trembling voice began, "that I hadn't just seen what I just saw on the 5pm news."

Slowly, I turned around to face my mother.

"I thought you were at work."

"I was," she answered slowly, deliberately, desperately trying to not lose her temper in front of a guest. Nathan was staring at her too, looking as I did like a rabbit caught in headlights. Her immobilizing glare never wavered from my pleading eyes. "But I'd gotten a call from Glen asking me to come home immediately and turn on the news, because something very bad had just happened."

My fear quickly dissipated, turning into bitterness. "Glen, huh? Since when were you on a first name basis with Officer Cross?"

I had no idea what possessed me to say something like that, especially at a time such as this, but it made my mother lose it.

"All my life since I've had you, I've protected you from every possible evil that's proven to be out there," she spoke with a fiery, trembling inflection. "And you've been so determined to throw yourself into the firing line of every bit of scandal, every bit of danger you can find. Now I have to choose between staying here," she pointed a shaking finger to the shaggy living room carpet, to the house she had scrimped and saved to pay off, "and running away from whatever damage you've caused! And I'm tired, Jess! I want to settle and rest my bones. I want to meet a man and be happy. I don't want to keep running anymore!"