The time has come

It was a tepid evening in Yorkshire. Joseph Molesley was walking alone to Downton Abbey due to talk to Miss Baxter, who was actually helping Lady Grantham to get dressed for dinner. It had been ten months since the Dowager Countess' death. The family was starting to come back to life: they knew that Violet was about to say goodbye to the world, but even living a thing that you've expected it's sad: it was previously just a thought, but then it becomes real.

Mr Molesley had joyful eyes when he entered the Servants Hall, where Andy was reading a book. When he saw the man, he got up.

"Mr Molesley! This is a pleasure! How are you, and why are you here?"
"Oh, good evening", Joseph answered excitedly. "I'm here to talk to Miss Baxter. I know she's probably in Her Ladyship's room, but... I can wait".
"Is anything settled yet for your wedding?", the apprentice butler asked.
"I'm here to discuss it!", the other replied.

While they were talking, Anna arrived to the Servants Hall. She was wearing her lovely smile and she wided her eyes with surprise when she saw the man.

"Mr Molesley! What a treat! How are you?"
"Good evening, Mrs Bates. I'm pretty fine and waiting for Miss Baxter!"
"Stay here for dinner," she said, "it's been a long time since your last dining with us. I tell Mrs Patmore". Mr Molesley followed her into the kitchen and greeted the cook and Daisy. Andy went with them and they started a conversation.

The Servants had a happy dinner like it hadn't happened for a long time. They shared the recent news and had fun. Even Mr Carson was glad.

"Lord and Lady Hexham are coming tomorrow with Master Peter Pelham and Miss Marigold, this time", Mrs Hughes announced.

"Mr Barrow sent me a letter yesterday. He's coming here for a week", Andy said.

"Why has he decided so?", Mr Carson inquired.

"He wants to greet us. He's going to Italy with Mr Dexter"

"This sounds good. Why are they going there?", Miss Baxter asked, while bringing the fork to her mouth.

"Mr Dexter is invited to a wedding in Italy", Andy explained, "it's at the end of the month. Mr Barrow would like to greet us in Yorkshire before going there. They don't usually come here"

All the dinner time was full of this kind of informations and declarations. When everything was ready to go to bed, the servants started to leave the Hall. Daisy left with Andy after giving him a kiss, and the Carsons were already out with Mrs Patmore, who was ready to go to Mr Mason's cottage. Miss Baxter was going downstairs after dressing Cora for the night and was ready to have a nap, when she met Mr Molesley in the corridor.
"Can we go outside?", he asked, with a low voice. She nodded.

They opened the door: the night was windless and silent. The sky was dark and the stars almost invisible. They walked together and sat down on a bench in the garden. In the abbey there were just a few lights turned on, but only three or four rooms were still illuminated. The air was cold and he embraced her. She put her head on his shoulder; she felt comfortable in his arms and looked up in the sky: she was trying to see the stars. In the meantime, Joseph talked.

"Phyllis. I-I'd like to talk about our wedding. What do you think? I know it's late, but..."
"...I think the time has come to take a decision", she answered, crossing his eyes and smiling. 
"I know right", he said, happily. "I was thinking about next Sunday. We've waited so much... there's no need to... wait and... wait again"
"Yes, yes! I can't wait anymore!" She was excited.
"Me too! I still can't believe I proposed to you. I felt so embarassed and nervous at the same time!"
"Do you know? When I was in France, I was talking to Mr Bates and Mr Carson a night. They understood I was... in love. And we were discussing about you", Phyllis revealed.