Chapter Four

They drove for about ten jostling minutes until finally pulling to a stop before the most beautiful Victorian house Kate had ever set eyes on.

          Propped on a hill, cast in beams of evening sunlight streaming through tangled limbs, it was a picturesque sight.

          The lovely circa, Victorian home was breathtaking and having little inhabitance but one Mae Adele Channing. Built in 1840 with a sugar pine door consisting of beveled glass and white bow windows that occupied its forefront and an arched roof, it was indeed worthy of awe.

          Kate admired the wrap-around porch dotted with various plants that had withered some time in the winter. It was a welcoming sight, offering tranquility and warmth that tugged at her battered soul.

          “You’re very fortunate.” Julie chimed admirably, “It’s a beautiful house.”

          Kate nodded and regretted in that moment not having spent much time with her great aunt and seemingly, momentarily stunned that this incredible structure of loveliness now belonged to her.

          She couldn’t have been more grateful to her late Aunt.

          Turning to Julie she offered a smile, “I appreciate the ride.” And unraveled herself from the jeep.

          “Hey, wait!” Julie called as she too followed in pursuit, “Listen, I know we’re strangers and all, but considering it’s a new town and what not, would you like to hang out tomorrow? I know the perfect place to unwind.”

          Instinctively, every nerve-ending of her body objected at the idea with a slight rising fear. It wasn’t a very good idea, especially for one escaping the wrath of one menacing, violent boyfriend. But the more she weighed the notion, the more it appealed to her daring inner self. She recalled in that moment just how lonely and sheltered she had been. Danny had kept her from her friends, proclaiming them ‘bad influences on her character’, and a small part of her ached to be daring, to be bold and rebel against all he disputed.

          She would later regret her decision but in that moment she didn’t care, “Yes, I would.” She said with an eagerness that surprised her.

          “Ah!” Julie clasped her hands and bounced on her shins like a giddy teeny-bobber just asked to Homecoming, “Splendid!” she reached out and took hold of Kate’s hands as if they’d been friends for numerous of years verse an hour or two.

          “Wear something flirty and I’ll pick you up at nine o’clock!”

          Kate was left standing regrettably speechless as Julie sauntered to her jeep with a slight skip in her step. It wasn’t until her newfound friend had vanished that Kate realized horribly her mistake.

          What had she done?

          The last thing she should be doing is gallivanting a small-town with a lively waitress, whom of which she knew nothing about.