Chapter Eighteen

Gently holding Mara in his arms, the King rushes to her room where Pitou could tend to her injuries without interruption. Holding the door open for the King, Pitou rushes inside after him and watches as the King delicately lies Mara down.

"Sire, while Dr. Blythe is active the palace will not be protected by my En. Would you like me to proceed?" Pitou inquires, subconsciously already knowing the answer.

"Mara takes precedent over all others, myself included. Heal her immediately!" He demands, clenching his fists as he gazes upon Mara's beaten up body. Pitou nods complacently and doesn't hesitate to get straight to work, allowing Dr. Blythe to appear overhead. The King watches them work from behind their back, taking note of every slight movement they make.

"According to Dr. Blythe's analysis, she has incurred no serious injuries, although her breathing is a bit unstable. I'll finish tending to her cuts and bruises myself, just know they'll take a while to fully heal." Pitou speaks, retracting Dr. Blythe as they finish tending to Mara's wounds. The King lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding, relief coursing through his body.

"How long will she remain unconscious for?" He probes, eager to see Mara back to her usual self.

"I've already given her pain killers. Once the pain subsides she should come to, it's only a matter of time, reliant on Mara's resiliency."

The King sighs, not taking his eyes off Pitou's every move. His immense aura puts a copious amount of pressure on Pitou, although they try their hardest to ignore it and continue their work. After another hour of carefully dressing her wounds, Pitou steps back from Mara's side and turns to face the King.

"I've done everything I can for her sire. She's no longer unconscious, rather in a state of deep sleep, which is much needed for a full recovery. I'll take my leave now." Pitou says, bowing to the King before exiting. Alone with Mara, the King sits down on the end of her bed as he gazes at her sleeping form, too worried about the woman to fall asleep.

~•~•~ The next morning ~•~•~

"Hey, hey! Didya hear what happened between Pitou and Pouf yesterday!?" Cheetu shouts, running up to Hina and Reina who were walking through the palace's lower corridors.

"No, we were both off the estate yesterday. What happened?" Hina asks curiously, a bit taken aback at Cheetu's sudden announcement.

"I heard from Welfin that Pouf allegedly tried attacking Mara, but Pitou stopped him and intervened. The two ended up getting into this huge fight, and Mara ended up injured in the process. Oh! I almost forgot, but the craziest part is even the King got involved! He shielded Mara from one of Pouf's attacks and took the hit himself... isn't that wild!?" Cheetu rambles excitedly, using flamboyant hand gestures to emphasize his story.

"Is Mara okay!?" Reina asks worriedly, clutching Hina's hand.

"Apparently she's just a bit beaten up but nothing serious. I heard from one of the officers that the King had Pitou tend to her injuries too." Cheetu reassures, feigning a smile in front of the young ant. "As much as Mara concerns me, I still can't get over the King taking a hit for her..." He muses.

"It's romantic isn't it!? It's obvious the King has grown to care greatly about her, his actions don't surprise me in the least!" Hina retorts confidently, feigning a swoon as she slumps onto Reina.

"You seriously think so? I mean... she's human after all..."

Rolling her eyes, Reina walks up to Cheetu and kicks him in the shin.

"Ow! What the hell was that for!?" Cheetu shouts angrily, glaring daggers into the girl.

"Mara has done so much for us... and that's what you have to say?" Reina voices confidently.