Masterpiece

It is another bright, sunny, beautiful day at Seabrook High School, and you could not be happier about what is to come. You've been excited for this day for a while now, as it's the first time that you'll be decidedly switching up your usual routine. Zombies are the norm now, and they've already become good friends to you. What's more, you get to sit with them during lunch today, and seeing as they're only in a couple of your classes, you'll finally be able to stick around and talk like you've always wanted.

Also, you're not alone. Somehow, your best friend Addison has already managed to make friends with the zombies, probably because she's able to befriend just about anything or anyone so long as they draw breath and aren't too critical of her beloved cheerleading dreams, so she'll be joining you today as emotional support. Bucky and his overly judgmental cheer squad are already shooting death glares at the two of you as you breeze past them into the cafeteria, but you couldn't care less. It's time to see your friends.

Besides, one of the boys in the group means more to you than Bucky ever could. Maybe you've been harboring a little crush on Zed ever since he first started at your school, maybe you haven't just been going to the football games to cheer on Addison but Zed as well. What can you say? He's cute, he cares about his friends and the community. He's practically perfect.

Addison nudges you in the ribs as you walk. "No need to look so excited, Y/N. It's just one lunch period."

You roll your eyes. "Speak for yourself. We're making friends, aren't we? That's practically your favorite habit."

Addison gives you a look. "What can I say? I like talking to people."

She drops her voice to a quieter pitch as if about to impart the greatest secret of all time. "Wait, let me guess. You're not just excited about sitting with the zombies, you're excited about sitting with Zed."

You elbow her in the arm. "No need to shout it to the entire school! And for that matter, it's not just about Zed. My world doesn't revolve around him, you know."

Addison raises an eyebrow. "No?"

You grin in spite of yourself. "Well, maybe a little bit."

Once you're halfway across the cafeteria, a tall boy with shaggy dark green hair falling into his eyes stands up and waves at you. You and Addison wave back in unison, unable to resist the boy's cheeriness.

"That's Bonzo," Addison whispers, "one of Zed's best friends. If you want to win over Zed, you're already off to a great start."

You make a face at your friend. "I don't remember asking you for help on how to get Zed to fall madly in love with me. No need to offer advice."

Addison smirks. "Don't worry about it. My advice is free of charge. I'm helpful that way."

You let out a slow breath. "Yeah, helpful. I've never felt more relieved."

Before Addison can issue back a similarly sarcastic retort, you arrive at the preordained lunch table and take a seat. You specifically choose the first seat in front of you to make sure Addison stops poking fun at you, but you've barely sat down before someone slides into a chair to your right. You look up with a start when you realize it's Zed. Of all the places to sit, he wanted the one next to you. Doesn't that say something?

Indeed, when you glance over at Addison, who's sitting opposite you solely so you can make dramatic eye contact in moments of need, she's grinning a little too wide. She winks rather obviously at you, and quickly starts up a conversation with Eliza before you can call her out on it.

Zed, seemingly oblivious to it all, smiles over at you. "Hey, Y/N. Have a good day so far?"

You shrug, reaching for your backpack so you can get your lunch. "As good as it gets, you know? Math quizzes are making me miserable, but that's just how it goes."