Part 7

Sherlock is thirty. Lestrade has come to trust his judgement, he has constant access to testosterone, and he can dissect corpses whenever he feels like it.

Why is he so damn bored?

~~~

He's been looking for a flatmate. But wherever he turns, the people are dull. Ordinary.

Sherlock has almost given up on his search. He's been hoping that somehow, there will be someone that will be at least half interesting.

As the days pass by, he finds himself complaining to the people he likes to complain to.

''No, Sherlock. My wife-''

''Is still sleeping with her personal trainer.''

Lestrade swears under his breath, equally about this information and about the rough metal murder weapon Sherlock has just fished out of a freezer.

''Look, I can't have you live with us. We've got personal problems, and we need to work it out on our own.''

Sherlock frowns, casually handing the bloody, twisted scrap of metal to some forensics guy. ''It was the cousin.''

Sherlock leaves with a swish of his coat.

The next morning, Sherlock meets a man at the hospital who unlocks a few doors for him.

''Still looking for a flatmate?'' Mike asks. Usually Sherlock ignores him, but for some reason he feels talkative.

''No. I must be a difficult man to find a flatmate for.''

Mike nods in agreement. ''I'd share, but I've already got one.

''No, Mike. Your personal habits would clash too horribly with mine.''

''Sorry mate, can't help you.''

Sherlock doesn't reply, examining the vegetation under his microscope.

Paint flecks...

He doesn't realize how much time has gone by.

''Bit different from my day.''

Sherlock glances up. Mike's brought someone with him, and balance of probability says he's a potential flatmate.

''Mike, can I borrow your phone?''
Mike pats his pockets. ''Sorry, other coat.''

The other man, who was quiet until now, limps over and holds out his phone. ''Here, use mine.''

Sherlock sends out a text, but not before gathering a bit of information from the phone about its owner.

His lips curl up in a half smile. ''Afghanistan or Iraq?''

Perhaps this one won't be quite as boring.