Grow As We Go

"Omega? What are you doing?" Hunter calls from a couple yards away. His stride quickens, closing the distance to assess her state. No one should be in the middle of a swamp by their lonesome.

"I'm fine." She says with instant dismissal.

"Who are you with?" Hunter questions, not seeing anyone else for a long while.

"...No one." She timidly reveals, shrugging her shoulders to brace for Hunter's disapproval.

"Come on. We're going back." He sternly replies, reaching for her hand.

"Please? I wana stay." She says, stepping back to avoid his grasp.

"I don't know how long you've been out here but it's not safe." He tries to reason with her but she's just as stubborn as he is.

"I left Echo a note. I swear it's fine, Hunter." Omega is full of surprises, using an underhanded approach to bypass the formal request for permission.

"No, Omega. That wasn't a question. Let's go." He takes her arm a little rougher this time but she nimbly twists out of his reach.

"No!" She declares with a stomp of her foot. It wasn't common for Omega to throw tantrums and it certainly posed a shock to Hunter, speechless at this little outburst. "I hate it up there. It's boring and it smells like dirty socks..." She looks at the ground, a wide frown pulling her face downward. "I want to learn what you do to keep us safe in case something happens."

Hunter considers it for a moment while Omega looks up to him with her big, pleading eyes. Even though he chooses to preserve her innocence, she has always been very adamant about wanting to pull just as much weight as her own guardians. Sometimes more. She is so independent for her age. So brave and forthright. His trepidation slowly converts into pride for having the fortune of knowing someone like little Omega. He suppresses a smile, being careful not to let on that he somewhat approves of her courageous actions.

"I walk the perimeter and look for anything that seems off. If I find something, I go somewhere safe and comm it in. There's no room for mistakes, Omega. Not right now." Hunter has never talked to her like she's a child. He is able to be serious and direct in his vernacular while giving Omega the respect she deserves, even when she disobeys.

"I know, Hunter. I'm sorry." She remorsefully apologizes.

"Okay then. If you do this with me, you're gonna follow my every lead, got it?" Hunter sets the stipulations, kneeling down to Omega's level.

"I promise." She agrees with a large smile when Hunter shows his forgiving nature.

"Good. Let's get moving." He stands, resting a palm on her back to lead her through the dense, Mimban jungle. She smiles, falling in line with Hunter to help finish his rounds.

They've been walking a long while and Hunter decides to teach Omega her first lesson. He taps her shoulder lightly to signal her to stop walking, paying close attention to the slight yet audible thrum of her steps on the ground. "When a hunter moves, everything else moves around them. Try to spot things that just don't belong or feel right. Now, take a look and tell me what you see."

She examines the landscape closely trying to pinpoint what exactly Hunter has honed in on that she hasn't picked up on yet. He doesn't want to give her the answer, knowing she will come upon it herself. Squinting her eyes, she seems to have located something. "It's... somebody's chest piece. It looks like it's the same ones from Crosshair's squad." Stepping closer to survey its condition, Omega finds the peeking piece of plastoid hidden amongst some foliage. "Hunter, there's blood on it."

"Look at the color and texture. Is it fresh or old?" He asks and Omega studies the gunmetal gray armor a little harder.

"It's dark and crusty. Looks old." She confirms. "The trail goes this way, right?" She asks, pointing in the direction of some snapped branches and prints made by boots.