/ Capt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell \

Dear Uncle Mav,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock. I don't know when he's gonna give these to you, but with this letter are ones for every milestone Autumn might make in her life, like when she starts and finishes elementary, middle, and high school.

I know my death might be hard on you, like you've failed my dad, but you didn't. My death would never have been your fault, Maverick, so don't you dare feel like it was. As I'm writing this, I kind of get why you pulled my papers all those years ago. You were right, I wasn't ready. Heck, I'm not ready for this mission, knowing the feeling I have. I just... I wanted to be able to say goodbye, especially to you since, ya know, you're my uncle.

Promise me one thing, Mav? Protect Autumn with your life. If she wants to become a pilot, let her. None of us can stop her, and although I might have asked you to pull her papers from applying to Top Gun, I would understand if she was mad at me for doing something like that. Autumn deserves a chance to spread her wings.

Another thing before I forget, could you possibly ask Autumn, when she's old enough obviously, whether she wants to take my name or your name? I just... I feel like the 'Bradshaw' name is cursed, ya know? I don't want her tied down to my dad's legacy or my legacy, so could you just ask her? Thanks, Maverick.

Anyway, I'll see you when I see you. Just don't do anything stupid like I know you'll do.

Love,

Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw