[Prelude]

Hello and welcome to my corner of Wattpad! This is my first story on this platform and I'd be grateful if you give it a read

Having said that, there are a few things I'd like to clear.

This is not my original story. I have taken the plot from a book I recently read and wanted to create my own version of it. Except for the characters and my own personal touches, some of you might find the book familiar and have the inkling that you've read it somewhere. In that case, you're right.

I've read some amazing stories of TejRan on this platform. Even so, from what I've seen, they're all stories which have one thing in common. They all portray them as hot and attractive people and they're not wrong. In real life, the both of them are definitely all those things but I wanted to tell a different story. Something that connects with the people. Because let's face it, not all of us are lucky enough to compete with that and yet, we're all beautiful in our own way.

'Perfection' means being entirely without any fault or defect. And it's a myth. I want people to allow themselves to let go of being 'perfect' and start being 'real.' We give ourselves such a hard time trying to be something else that we forget that being imperfect is who we are as people.

This version of Karan and Tejasswi may seem different from others. They're both flawed in their own ways. They're both trying to find their way in this world just like the rest of us.

So, this story is from my heart. It might already be out there but it tells everything I myself need to say. It comes from my own loss, fear, pain and insecurities. I hope it resonates with you and I hope you enjoy it.

Before I start it, I'd like to remind all of you that: You are wanted. You are necessary. You are loved.

--♡ abstract ♡--

I'm not a bad person, but I'm about to do a shitty thing. And you will despise me, as will some others, but I will do it anyway to protect you as well as me.

This may seem like an excuse, but I have prosopagnosia, which means I can't identify faces, even those of people I care about. Not even my parents. Nobody, not even myself.

Consider entering a room full of strangers, individuals who have no significance in your life since you don't know their names or their stories. Then envision going to school, work, or, worse, your own house, where you should know everyone, yet everyone there appears to be a stranger as well.

That's how I feel when I go into a room and don't recognise anyone. That includes every single room. I can tell how someone walks. Through gestures. Through voice. Through hair. I learn about people through identifiers. Aarav has huge ears and a black, loose pompadour haircut, I tell myself, and then I memorise this detail to help me find my younger brother, but I can't truly call up a vision of him with his enormous ears and haircut unless he's there in front of me. Remembering people is like this ability that everyone else seems to have except for me.

Is my condition formally diagnosed? No. Not simply because I'm presuming this is above Dr. Blume's pay grade as the local paediatrician. Not simply because my parents have had their fair share of shit to deal with over the last few years. Not merely because it's preferable not to be the weirdo. But there's a part of me that wishes it's not true. That it may clear up and disappear on its own. For the time being, this is how I get by:

Nod/smile at everyone.

Be charming.

Be goddamn hilarious.

Be the life of the party.

Pay attention.

Do whatever it takes. Be lord of the douche. Anything to keep from being the prey. Always better to hunt than be hunted.

I'm not telling you this to justify what I'm about to do. But perhaps you can keep it in mind. This is the only way to prevent my friends from doing something even worse, and it is the only way to put an end to this awful game. I just want you to know that I don't want to hurt anyone. That is not the case. Despite the fact that this is what will happen.

Sincerely yours,

Karan

PS: You're the only one who knows what's wrong with me.

--♡ the end ♡--

xoxo,

starinthemaking_