[67] Chasing Love

Pretty helped Isabel in packing her things. 

“Are you sure about your decision?” Pretty asked anxiously.

“This is the best thing I can do. I don’t have any family. Who will take good care of me when I’m senile and frail? I have to go back to Children’s Haven Orphanage and serve there until my dying breath. In return, they are going to take good care of me when I can no longer serve them.”

“We’ll go to the orphanage then if that is the best and only option we can choose.”

Isabel held and stared the ancient pocket watch.

“What are you going to do with that watch?”

“Throw it away.”

“Why?”

“My secret is already out in the open. I don’t think I still need this watch.”

“But you have lots of beautiful memories with that watch.”

“I know. I am thankful somehow that I was given a chance to be with Emile even for a short time. I am glad that this watch was lent to me. I enjoyed every moment I had with Ken. It’s time for me to face the truth that nothing lasts forever.”

“Just keep the watch as a keepsake instead of throwing it away. Who knows it will come in handy when you need it.”

“Why don’t you keep this watch for me?”

Isabel handed the watch to Pretty.

“Sure. Don’t worry I will keep it safe for you as if it holds my dear life.”

Pretty accepted the watch and put it inside her bag.

“Thank you for all the help and support you gave me. I don’t know where else I’ll be without you. You’re the most supportive, loving, and sweet sister, daughter, and granddaughter I ever had in this world.”

“You are my kith and kin that’s why I cannot turn my back on you.”

“I may lost all my love ones but God sent an angel to watch over me and that is you.” 

“I’m glad to be your guardian angel.”

Isabel handed the key to the landlady and bid goodbye to her. 

Pretty hailed a taxi and helped Isabel put her luggage inside the taxi’s trunk.

“Where are you heading to?”

“Please take us to Children’s Haven Orphanage in Cordova Cebu.”

“Okay.”

Ken saw Isabel and Pretty going inside a taxi from a distance. His heart beat faster when he saw them putting the luggage inside the taxi’s trunk.

“Hey, that’s Pretty and Isabel going into the taxi.” Ken pointed.

“I think they are going somewhere. It seemed like Isabel is bringing all her things.” Morris said.

“Can you please make your car run a little bit faster? We need to catch up with them before they will be gone.”

“Okay, sir.”

Isabel and Pretty’s taxi already went away before Ken and Morris were able to reach them. They run smoothly in the intersection and beat the red light.

Unfortunately for Ken and Morris’ taxi, they were forced to stop on the red light. 

“Shit. That was close.”

Ken banged his fist on his leg.

“Relax. We will be able to catch up with them.”

Morris tried to calm Ken.

“What if I will lost her forever?”

“No, you will not lost her. Cebu is very small. She will not be able to go that far. She can run but she can never escape from your loving arms.”

Ken laughed despite of his anxiety.

“Now you’re laughing. Relax. Nobody else is chasing her except you. That means she’s only yours. We will be able to catch up with her without having to accelerate our car. Trust me she will stop the car for you.”

“I hope so.”

The traffic light turned green and the car ran again to chase after Isabel’s taxi. Ken was horrified to see when Isabel’s taxi turned right going to Marcelo Fernan Bridge.

“This is what I’m telling you. She is going outside Cebu. She wanted to go far away from me.”

“It’s too early to judge.”

“Can’t you see it? Their taxi passed by Marcelo Fernan Bridge going to Mactan International Airport and she’s bringing all her things. Where do you think she’s going? My God. I’m afraid I might not be able to see her. I will really turn this world upside down just to find her.”

“How many times do I have to tell you to relax?! Maybe Isabel only wanted to transfer to another house which happens to be in Lapu-lapu City.”

“Can you please make your taxi run faster than the taxi ahead of us? If you can overtake that taxi and block them, I’ll give you 3,000 pesos.”

“I can’t do it sir. That’s too dangerous. I can’t risk my life. I’m not ready to die yet. I still have my family who depended on me. Why don’t you call your girlfriend and tell her to stop the taxi and talk to you.”

“You don’t understand me. The woman riding in that taxi is my future wife. I cannot call her because she blocked me. Please I need your help sir. I want to build my family with the beautiful woman inside that car. If you can block that car for me, I’ll give you 5,000 pesos.”

“Ok! Ok!” 

The taxi driver accelerated his car. 

Isabel’s taxi passed on Marcelo Fernan Bridge. Technically cars were not allowed to overtake while running on a bridge. But Ken was so desperate to talk to Isabel. He kept on urging the taxi driver to run faster until they will be able to overtake and block her taxi.

Ken looked so desperate. The taxi driver pitied him. He accelerated his car to a maximum speed of 120 mph. They were able to overtake Isabel’s taxi in the middle of the bridge. 

Ken’s taxi driver turned right to block Isabel’s taxi when he was already 2 meters ahead of her.  

“What the fuck?! I almost bump on that idiot. Good thing we are running at a very slow speed or else we’ll all be dead.”

“Oh my goodness! That was close!” Isabel said worriedly.