Blessings

Preparations had started the night before. Children's bags were kept ready on one side, hers on the other and there was one bag just with pickles, that she knew would get seized in customs. Sushila was walking back and forth between the bags. And then she saw the children out on the sofa.

"How can you two be so lazy about packing? You don't want to go kya?"

"I've already packed my bags myself" Mohit stated matter of factly. Sushila opened the bag to see a small heap of Hindi comics over two pairs of clothes and nothing else.

"Are you going to wear these pages on your head when we go there?"
"I've put some clothes too"
"Mohit"

She looked at him, her eyes suddenly weary and her hair spread all over her head. "And what have you packed Saryu?"

Saryu only opened her eyes slightly and closed them immediately upon being discovered.

"If both of you think that you can go to the US without proper packing, then let me tell you both; your bags will get checked for proper packing and if you get sent back for not packing well, you'll remain here with all your toys and comics because god knows we can only afford this trip once."

The threat had its effect. By 10 pm, the kids were put in bed.

The only thing remaining now  was to take Grandpa's blessings and to try and cajole them out of his unreasonableness. He was not happy letting the kids go after so many years, especially in the middle of their school year but Manoj finally had brought a house and Sushila didn't want to stay separated like this any longer.

"Papaji ... " Sushila called out from the door itself.
"He's been grumbling to himself the entire day. He's grown even more stubborn now." Grandmother said, with a hand on Sushila's hand. Sushila looked at her kind eyes and entered the room.

"We should do the prayers in the night itself. We have to leave early today and you know how it is with the kids always."

"But Sushila, this is a morning aarti, it won't be auspicious to do it in the night."

Sushila had never disregarded his words these past years, but with the travel weighing upon her, she couldn't take a chance.

"Can your prayers ever be unlucky? Your blessings are of far greater value to me than any prayer could be,"

Sushila entered and touched Papaji's feet and quickly started going away, in a kabaddi of sorts.  Papaji didn't respond.

"This is the right thing, this is the right thing." She repeated as she had done for the past week and washed the utensils, fretted over the torn cover of the refrigerator and cleaned the floor again.

Ajay's call came at their fixed time. She would drag the phone to a remote corner in the drawing room, the most privacy that she could get in the house.

"Is everything ready?" Ajay sounded concerned as ever
"It is"
"Have you kept the tickets and passport in a separate bag"
"I have"
"Have you booked the taxi?"
"Yes"
The call was charged at Rs 16/minute and anything beyond the necessary had to be clipped short.
30 seconds to go.

"We're doing the right thing." Sushila said
"When you're at the airport, get out of gate number 2"
"It's the best decision for the kids as well"
"And don't forget to take your baggage"
"You also think that I am doing the right thing na?"

There was a two second pause, the longest allowed and then the phone got cut. Their minute was up. She'd have to search for her answers elsewhere.

Lying down in her bed, in her airport clothes, Sushila couldn't sleep. She re-checked the clock. It wasn't broken. The alarm was set and yet, time wouldn't pass.

She closed her eyes.

She dreamt of a screeching bird, unlike any other. She woke up with the taxi horn and her alarm clock already silent. With a scream, Sushila jumped out of her bed and realised that there was only an hour left for takeoff. She started beating the children in the name of waking them up.

"Mumiji, please ready them up"
She told her bewildered mother in law who was already up and praying with a bead in her hand.The kids were parcelled as they were into the backseat of the taxi and all the bags were taken, even the blue one. There was no time for hugs and goodbyes. At 5:07, with a tremendous effort, they were off.

Papaji heard the noises and had started on his way out. He was trying to fit his chappal, but it wouldn't get on. He left it and walked barefoot outside. By the time he reached there, they were already gone. He staggered inside.

"They've left?"
Papaji looked at his wife who was still sitting in the corner with her bead and impassive face.
"Hmmm"

He walked from the door to the gate repeatedly, with small packets of gifts crackling in his hands.

"Come sit, I'll make you some tea. It's 7 already. We'll send them the gifts." Papaji kept on staring at the door, as if there was someone just outside it.

His wife hobbled towards the kitchen and gently placed a hand on his shoulders.
"They'll be back soon"
"I just wanted to hug them to my chest before they left. I couldn't even see them once. Not once."
"Don't worry, they'll come back."
"When?"
"They'll come, have the tea, it is getting cold"
His wife said, as she hobbled past with a tray.
"You go, I'll come in a bit"
"You can't sit there for years waiting their return"
"I can"
"Bring me some biscuits first and keep this." She said, dropping a small leather bag in his hand.
"What is in it?"
"Something Sushila left for you."

At 7:30, Sushila was back, for the blessings and the tickets.