Chapter Forty. Flesh and Bone

FORTY
flesh and bone

       THE REVVING ENGINE of that blue Camaro was panic inducing. Her eyes were glued to the window, were she could see Billy line his lips with his tongue. His left hand hung loose from the window, a cigarette dangling between his fingers. She swallowed dryly, and slowly turned her focus to Steve— she could see his thought process. His eyes flickering up, and down, and the beaming headlights caused his pupils to dilate. He furrowed his brow, and shifted on his feet. Lucy felt her shoulders fall. "Steve..."

He turned to her. "Stay here," Steve spoke. His hand moved to her arm, and he touched her, as if to tell her it was fine.

She watched him open the door. The headlights turned off, and he stepped outside. Lucy's eyes flickered towards the kids— she nearly shouted. "God, what are you doing?" she whispered. "Get down!"

She joined them on the sofa. Lucy gripped the leather with such force, her knuckles were turning white. Her line of vision traced directly to Billy's face— he had that smug, asshole-ish look tugging on his features. She saw him take a long drag of the cigarette.

Billy breathed out. "Am I dreaming, or is that you, Harrington?"

He spoke in a monotone. "Yeah, it's me. Don't cream your pants."

Billy ripped off the leather jacket. He held the cigarette between his lips, and puffed his chest, as though to intimidate Steve. She rolled her eyes, and lowered herself further.

   "Would you dipshits get down?" she murmured, pulling at the back of Dustin's shirt. "I don't want him seeing you."

His voice shook. "I think I'm gonna shit my pants," Dustin whispered. "This guy is an asshole."

The cigarette hung loosely from Billy's lips— she hated it. He spoke in a mumble, so it wouldn't fall. "I don't know this— this situation, Harrington, I dunno," Billy kissed his teeth. "It's givin' me the heebie-jeebies."

He narrowed his eyes. "Oh, yeah? Why's that?"

    She saw Billy squint. Lucas spoke from beside her, "This guy," he began, throat going dry. "Really doesn't like me."

Her face fell. She narrowed her brows, and turned to him. "What?"

Lucas widened his eyes. "Like, really doesn't like me."

She blinked. Lucy clenched her jaw, and averted her gaze back towards the window— just in time to make eye contact with Billy. A gasp was pulled from her lips. A devilish smirk grew on his lips, and she cursed. "Fuck!" she spun around, so her back was pressed to the sofa.

Mike's voice cracked. "He saw us."

"Yeah, no shit, Wheeler!" she spoke between gritted teeth.

Dustin's chest heaved. "What are you gonna do?" he cried. "He'll kill us all!"

She pressed her hands over her eyes. "Okay, okay," Lucy spoke. She lifted herself from the sofa. "Listen, if any of you move, I'll kill you. Stay inside."