Escape

Thunder cracked outside, the sound shaking the doors of the cellar. Rain dripped onto the cement stairs as the storms raged. The sound of chains clanking against the cement filled the space as a young boy pulled at the base, slowly prying it from the wall. His hands were bloody, the old rusted metal digging into his palms as he pulled. If only he could just break the chain, then he could make his escape next time Mother opened the doors. His body ached with every move, last nights full moon had taken its toll, but he was determined to get away. He had to.

At the sound of keys, he froze. Listening intently through the storm as he heard the lock to the cellar doors click open. With a loud creak the doors were pulled open for a moment, rain pelting the steps as a woman stepped down them, closing the doors quickly behind herself.

Fear courses through the boy as he watches his Mother walk down the steps. The smell of alcohol meeting his senses as he backs up. Mother was always meaner when she snelled like this.

She approcahed him quickly, her hand finding its way around what little throat she had access to above the collar. Pushing the boy into the wall with a sickening thud as his head hit the cement hard.

Stars dotted his vision for a moment from the pain as he weakly tried to pry her hand away. She smirked, tightenng her grip as she spoke.

"You wanna tell me why youre being punished this time you freak?"

Tears filled the boys eyes as he struggled to breath, his body hitting the floor as she suddenly let go. Coughs wracked his tiny frame as he tried to get in a breath.

"For... turning into a monster..." he finally spoke, his voice breaking as he lay on his hands and knees at her feet.

"Exactly. Youre a monster just like your father!" She spoke as she kicked him, a crack sounding as her foot collided with his ribs, slamming him back against the wall.

He gasped desperate for air as yhe blow and the pain ripped the remaining air from his lungs. As she went for another kick, he turned, her foot collidingg with the chain instead as it finally broke off from the wall.

The boy rushed to his feet, dizziness overwhelming him as he took in a breath. His mother spaf curses as she lost her balance trying to turn back to him. He took this as his chance as he bolted, running up the stairs and through the doors into the onslaught of the storm.

Rain instantly drenched what little clothes the boy wore as he ran, his bare feet splashing in the muddy grass. He knew he had to get away. To the only place he knew by heart. The address of his birth father.

He had read it last year. When he was allowed out of the cellar, Mother had tasked him with cleaning her house while she went away, lockigng him in with magic. He easily did the job but found himself in her office. Usually lovked, he had never been in before. But this time the door opened and he rummaged around her papers. In one drawer, hidden deep in the back was a folder with his birth certificate and medical records from when he was born. On it was an address, the one of his father. He quickly memorized the lines and tucked the page away into his pocket.

As he continued to run, he felt for the paper, now wet and torn, but still safe in his pocket. The only proof he had that maybe he could get away.

In the distance he heard his Mother yelling after him. Profanities falling short as the wind howled and thunder boomed with a bright flash of lightning. The sound causing him to flinch but he continued nonetheless.

Hours passed as he kept running. Hoping he was going the right way until he finally came to the road on the paper. He slowed his pace as he tried to read the numbers on the houses as he passed. The street was quiet aside from the rain, everyone no doubt asleep at this hour.

Once he found the right place he went up the steps to the cottage door and with shaking hands, knocked on the door with what little strength he had left.

*********************************************************

Remus woke to the sound of knocking on his door. Sitting up he checked the clock, who would be at his door at 3 in the morning?

He quickly grabbed his wand and made his way down the stairs. He was not ready for what awaited him behind the door. Wiyh his wand at the ready he opened it, only to find a small boy, drenched from the rain, a shackled around his nexk, chain dangling drom the side of it.

"A..are you Remus Lupin?..." the boys voice was quiet as he spoke looking up at the man.

"Yes. And who are you little one?" He spoke, kneeling down the the boys level.

"Sawyer... Sawyer Michael Lupin...." he answered, his body shaking as he dug into his pocket holding out a crumpled,, wet piece of parchment.

Remus took it, carefully unfolding it as he looked down at it. A birth certificate stared back at him, confirming what the little boy had said moments ago.

"Come bow lets get you inside." He spoke as he helped the boy in, closing the door behind him.

The boy flinched as the door closed, his body still shaking. From fear or the cold Remus couldnt tell. Now that he could see the boy better, his breath hitched. Wounds littered the boys body, blood and rain mixing together as they dripped from his frame.

He moved to take the shackled off, but the boy flinched causing remus to freeze.

"I'm not going to hurt you little one. I'm just gonna get that off of you okay?" He spoke calmly, though his mind was anything but at the moment.

How could he have a kid? He had only slept witu the woman once. And that was ages ago!Had he passed on his urse to this boy? Had his mother done this to him? He needed to help the boy, that much he jnew.

"O..okay..." the boy spoke again as he let Remus make quick work of the shackle an chain, both disappearing as soon as they were off the boy.

"Can you tell me who did this to you?" Remus spoke as he trued to assess the boys wounds without touching him.

The boy Didn't hesitate as he answered. "She did... Mother..."

In that moment Remus knew for certain he would not be allowing the boy back into the care of his mother. Anger coursed through him, this was his cub. His pup. Having been raised in the thralls of that wretched woman.

"I..I'm sorry sir I didn't mean to make you angry..." the boy spoke weakly, his voice wavering as he backed away from Remus.

Tiny footprints of mud and blood trailed in his wake as the boy backed into the wall. Remus instantly calmed himself.

"Its ok. Im not mad at you little one. I promise." He spike holding his hands up in a surrendering manner.

The boy watched him for a moment. Seeming to relax, but soon collapsed, Remus quickly catching the boy before his head hit the floor. He gently laud the boy on the couch, starting the fire with hid wand as he waved it over the boy once more, cleaning the blood snd grime from him as he used sine healing magic. Most of which he learned from his time in the infirmary as a boy, as he quickly mended the boys wounds and changed him into cleaner clothes. These fitting the child better than the rags he had shown up in.

Carefully, remus covered the boy with a blanket and made his way to the kitchen. Taking his wand, he quickly sent his patronus to the only person he could think of to trust and ask for help from. Albus Dumbledore.