a birthday worth remembering

birthdays are never fun for a one, diluc ragnvindr. every year he gets older, is another reminder of the years his father didn't get to see. since he stopped celebrating, everyone seemed to just forget. even jean and kaeya.

a soft breeze kisses his cold face and runs through his long red hair, interrupting his train of thought.

"something on your mind, master diluc?"

"why are you here? it's late." he didn't look at the other being standing behind him, he just stared at the quickly fleating sunset.

"i'll tell you if you scoot over a bit." venti bartered.

diluc thought for a moment before reluctantly shuffling on the dawn winery's balcony railing, making space for the other to sit.

"if you're just here to ask me for wine you may as well leave now. i don't have time for this." his voice was laced with something the archon couldn't quite pinpoint, he felt sorry.

"that's not why i'm here, luc.. we both know that," diluc turned to face venti, he looked sorrowful and hurt. venti looked into the other's eyes and then looked away. "i know today has been unkind, but i didn't want to forget to wish you a happy birthday. i had assumed you went to go celebrate with the knights, but when i asked jean she said you weren't around."

diluc's eyes welled with tears, he was unsure how to feel.

"i haven't celebrated my birthday in years. since the loss of my father i just haven't really had the energy to do anything for it.. but thank you, i appreciate the sentiment."

venti looked at diluc again and took his hand in his own. "it's not too late to change that, you know." at first he was confused, but the redhead quickly adjusted and let venti lead him off the balcony, softening the landing with his anemo ability.

"where are you taking me? i'm not fit to go out, venti, i look terrible." diluc sounded concerned and a bit annoyed, but venti wasn't about to let him spend another birthday without at least a little celebration.

"i'm sure nobody cares that much, i think you look alright! might wanna fix your hair though!" venti replied with a smile. the two walked for a while, hand in hand, until they arrived in the city, where venti lead diluc into angel's share.

"why here? are you just trying to get me to go to sleep? that's ridiculous. you didn't need to come find me just to drag me back to my house." he sounded frustrated.

"will you shut it? just go sit."

diluc rolled his eyes, but listened and sat down at the bar as he watched venti disappear into the kitchen. soon enough, venti reappeared with two slices of cake and a bottle of sparkling grape juice. "surprised? i couldn't afford anything too big but when the others said they weren't doing anything for you i decided i would!"

diluc looked at venti, tears pricking at his eyes once more. "you did this for me? why?"

venti smiled and cocked his head. "because i care, diluc."

the two finished their food and talked for a little while, and soon enough it was midnight. diluc attempted to convince venti to leave, but he was unsuccessful. the two ended up sharing diluc's room above angel's share.

"venti?" diluc says, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"yeah?"

"..thank you. today wasn't very enjoyable but seeing you made it a bit more pleasant. i had a nice night." he smiled at venti, who was now stood in front of him.

"you don't need to thank me. you owe me though! at least two bottles of dandelion wine!"

he scoffed. "yeah, i suppose that's fair. c'mon now, let's get some rest."