Chapter 6

Mommy Issues

Mommy Issues

MY MOTHER CLAIMS that she loves me. But I could see through her lies and straight to her disappointment in me. She's repeatedly said that she saw every inch of my father in me, clearly with the way they ended up that wasn't a good thing. It was more of an insult. 

She also saw me as a mistake, I was born when she was very young and I wasn't exactly planned either. Juli wasn't either but she was my mothers saving grace, something to continue for. 

Her do-over, her chance to do something right this time. So there was Julieta, I loved her to death but I couldn't help but feel jealous of her. She had everything I didn't, a mother that didn't scowl when she looked at you from angles that you might've looked like your father from. A father in general. 

My father wasn't involved in my life after he and my mother separated, apart from the few birthday cards and Christmas cards with useless words and a few bills of money inside them that were about as close to words as we would get. 

The only person who'd ever loved me fully was my grandfather and my father, even though he'd hurt my mother he loved me unconditionally. He might've been a bad husband but he wasn't a bad father. 

I zoned out and looked at the clock, 5:00 am on a Monday. I stood and put on my slippers, I was almost going to get up anyway. I was only an hour early. I went into my bathroom and looked at all the products on my counter. I guess I could get to finally do my entire skincare routine in the morning before school. 

I cleaned my face and showered before I laid all my skincare products on my face. I liked when I woke up early sometimes. I could see the sunrise through my blinds as I put on my uniform and applied some makeup, I didn't need much. I liked the sight of my freckles and long lashes without anything on them. 

I styled my hair in a half-up and half-down style not wanting to deal with my hair that much, I was ready before the clock even hit seven. I took the time to organize all the things I needed, the volleyball bag that I'd packed to put inside my locker and my bookbag making sure I had all my homework done and had everything. 

I went downstairs and found Tomas sitting on the island of the kitchen drinking coffee and reading some newspaper, he looked shocked to see me awake but I just ignored him. His blonde hair sat in a mess on his head and stubble made its presence on his chin. 

"Goodmorning" He spoke lifting his eyes from the newspaper to give me a friendly smile which I tried to reciprocate but I think it looked more like a grimace than a smile. 

"Morning" I opened a container of plain yogurt and crushed some pieces of granola into it. This was my breakfast almost every day, or the days when I have time to get ready. Since the island was taken the only other place that brought me peace was outside on the porch. 

The rocking chair where my grandfather would sit in every single morning when he visited us when we used to live here. It reminded me of him. It reminded me of the poems he used to write and leave for me here when I'd wake up for school. Everyone saying and ending in the same words.