Chapter 46: Pyrrha Nikos

When Pyrrha burst out of the vault, Kaminari was close by.

"Pyrrha! Where have you been?" Kaminari asked, running over.

"Kaminari! I need to get to the teachers." Pyrrha said, running past him.

"Wait! Pyrrha, please!"

Pyrrha ran down the stairs to the arena. She fought off Grimm as Kaminari stayed close behind.

"Pyrrha, please! You gotta tell me what's up!" He yelled over the battle.

"I'm sorry!" Pyrrha responded, continuing her fighting.

Once she slayed an Ursa, she turned around to face Kaminari. They locked eyes until Pyrrha saw Cinder flying towards the roof. Pyrrha bolted to meet her, making Kaminari pursue her. She made it to the top by pulling herself along the metal using her armor. Kaminari flew after her, grabbing her wrist to come along. They flew out on the roof, close to Cinder. Pyrrha pulled her shield up and readied her weapon.

"No... no, Pyrrha, you can't." Kaminari said.

It was true. Kaminari didn't even know what Cinder was capable of, yet he could feel the power she was radiating. But if Cinder was here, she must have defeated Ozpin. And Pyrrha didn't get the feeling she was the sort of person to leave loose threads loose. She had to avenge Ozpin and Amber. She couldn't let Cinder take any more lives today.

Pyrrha turned to Kaminari and kissed him. He took a second to realize what was happening, but then leaned into it. After what felt like forever, she broke away. An eternity wouldn't have been enough time to spend with him. She didn't want to leave him, but she couldn't let Cinder kill him.

"Denki... I'm sorry." She said solemnly.

With a heavy heart, she used her semblance to blast Denki back down to the ground floor and lock the hatch. Cinder turned, surprised to see Pyrrha. Pyrrha threw her spear, then charged Cinder with her shield. Cinder dodged the spear easily, then shoved Pyrrha out of the way. Pyrrha called her spear and shield back just in time to block an arc of fire conjured by Cinder. She shot a streak of fire that Pyrrha leapt over. Cinder sent two more fire blasts. Pyrrha barely avoided the first one but blocked the second with her shield. She slashed at Cinder with her spear, but Cinder grabbed it and spun Pyrrha around. Cinder pushed her palm into Pyrrha's stomach and fire burst through, sending Pyrrha flying almost off the roof. She stood as Cinder flew at her. Pyrrha grabbed her arm and vaulted over the maiden, throwing her on the ground. As Cinder got up, Pyrrha rammed the blunt end of her spear into Cinder's right hand and slashed her left. She then spun and slashed across Cinder's abdomen and right leg. Pyrrha tried to spin and slash again, but Cinder backflipped and kicked Pyrrha in the face. Pyrrha flipped around and jumped on Cinder, getting her in a choke hold and trying to stab her neck. Cinder managed to grab onto the spear and keep it away from her. Pyrrha heard a shriek and looked up to see a huge Wyvern coming at her. Pyrrha tried to figure out how to defeat Cinder and deal with the Grimm. Pyrrha heard a crack and looked down. Her spear had been split in half. Cinder elbowed Pyrrha in the gut, hard. Pyrrha grabbed her shield just in time to block a jet of fire, but another one came and Pyrrha was pushed to the edge of the roof. She looked up to see Cinder now had a bow with an arrow pointed at Pyrrha's chest. Pyrrha threw her shield, hoping to break the bow. Cinder let the arrow fly, which shattered on Pyrrha's shield. However, the arrow reformed and continued, piercing through Pyrrha's ankle. Pyrrha fell on her knees. Both ends of the arrow broke off, making removal impossible. She couldn't stand. Cinder moved in front of her.

"It's unfortunate that you were promised a power that was never truly yours." Cinder said.

She kneeled down and lifted Pyrrha's chin, staring into her eyes and smiling.

"But take comfort in knowing that I will use it in ways you could never have imagined."

Pyrrha pulled away and matched Cinder's stare.

"Do you believe in destiny?" Pyrrha asked.

Cinder's eyes narrowed.

"Yes." She said pensively.

Cinder stood up and held out both her hands. In her left, an obsidian bow manifested. In her right, an obsidian arrow. She pointed it at Pyrrha's chest.

"And yours ends here."