Asia

"Mommy get up. Can we go with daddy?"

I rubbed my eyes open, "Go where?" I asked rolling over.

"To the store. They wanna make pizzas and ice cream sundaes," Chris said, standing in the doorway of my room.

We haven't said a word to each other since the other night. I haven't tried reaching out to Jay at all. I feel so embarrassed. I don't even know why that happened like what even made me kiss him.

"Oh well... sure."

My phone vibrated against the night stand. I looked at and saw it was Jay. I contemplated on picking up, but Jay was type to just pop up if I didn't.

"Uh, hey," I answered.

"We ain't cool no mo' or some?"

I lightly chuckled, "Never like that, ever. My fault for the other night."

"That's what I wanted to link with you to talk bout."

"We can't spare the embarrassment."

"Ima pull up on you.... alright Nigga. Ima fuck with you.... My fault but I'm bout to pull up."

"Alright Jay."

We hung up and I got up. I wasn't really feeling like being in his presence.  I pulled myself together anyway and mentally prepared for what was to come.

***

"Man I don't know why I even did that, caught up in my feelings I guess but it won't happen again ever," I ranted out as soon as I opened the door.

He glanced me over, "Don't freak out about it. You gone let me in or nah?"

I moved to the side to let him come in the door.

"Where the kids out?"

"With Chris to get some stuff to make ice cream and pizza."

"Aw.... But look... I ain't holding none against you. I would be lying like hell to say I ain't never looked at you for a lil longer than I should, I'm a nigga at the end of the day. A respectful one but a nigga know a beautiful woman when he see one. It's just a line we can't cross. I respect you way too much for it."

I pursed my lips together. I fully understood everything he said and what he meant. Jay was so solid like the shit is rare as hell. Still, I made me question why... what was it about me that just made him say nah? It made me wonder was he it my brothers, was it Chris? Like what was it. Or was I just doing too much and looking too deep into it.

"I respect that and thank you for not making this more embarrassing then it already is," I responded.

"Fasho'. We homies for life and it ain't none I wouldn't do for you or the kids. This started out as strictly business but we locked in for life Asia."

"I get it but I mean, like don't think I'm being shallow, but how come it's so easy to just turn me down if I was even interested like that?" 

He smiled then laughed, "Who said it was easy? The friendship is worth more, you're worth more than trying to become something and chasing me in that manner. Why let a moment of temporary emotions ruin a good thing. I know you and I know where your heart really lies. I know me too and I couldn't give you what you truly deserve. Shit like this you got to put the big picture into perspective. The costs ain't worth what could be lost."

"I really appreciate you Jay."

"I appreciate you too. How shit been since y'all talked?"

My lips twisted and I rolled my eyes, "Haven't said a single thing."

He shook his head, "Just talk and let it go from there. Y'all had some space but you got to finish the conversation one day."

"I choose later rather than sooner."

"You either work to forgive him or don't and move on."

"I ain't that easy," I scoffed.

"Because you aren't making it any easier."

"Where Angel?" I asked, changing the subject completely.

"With her mama folks. Don't try to switch it."

I shrugged my shoulders and laughed.

***

Chris sat on the sofa and stared off aimlessly into space until I came into his view.

"The agreement was to work with your brothers and get things rolling behind bars too. Once that's fulfilled I'm out for good."

I stood there stunned, "That's why he wouldn't let me take it over?"

He looked at me and laughed, "You and who was taking over what? Respectfully, this ain't your type of business to even be in. You're smart and you wear your heart on your sleeve."

I rolled my eyes still standing there, "I wonder why."

"You've always been like that so it ain't much need to wonder. You always intertwining shit too. Turned that Nigga Jay into one of your besties."

"One, he's a good friend that you should be thanking. It's because of him I'm even talking to you right now."

He chuckled, "Yea, alright. He smashed?"

My brow raised, "And if he did? What business is it to you?"

Chris got up and cupped my face, "You technically still my wife so all this," his finger traced my arm, "technically still mine baby girl that's how it's still my business, you're still my wife."

I know he felt the goosebumps that instantly appeared. I moved my face from his hand.

"Once you was locked away, so was everything else."

"Sure. But the it still remains true."

I rolled my eyes, "Not for long."

"If that's how you feel, I'm with it," he shrugged.

"If you don't care, you could've been said some and we could've been through the process and got it over with."

"Who said I wanted to do all that?"

"You don't get to play mind games Christopher."

"But you do? I know Jay ain't smash you. I know you only talking out the side of your neck cuz your feelings hurt."

"What the hell are we even doing? Let's lay it all out, now."

"You tell me Asia."

"I kissed Jay."

"I'm sure you did," he said matter of factly.

"I did."

"Okay, and?... I ain't bout to go back and forth. We either gone be together or get a divorce. The love ain't never left for you, shit is jaded as hell but I can't even cap."

"I don't know."

"We try it out or we don't. Just let me know when you know some." He got out and walked out the living room.