Chapter 6

The next day, MECH decided to run some "tests".  One might be imagining scalpels and a table with straps, but luckily it was far less discomforting. First, there were simple diagnostics... blood pressure, temperature, and a few more non-notables, with nothing worse than a blood draw. I'd been poked and prodded by doctors for years, as they tried and failed to treat my disease. Compared to all of that, one needle poke was tame. Even though these scientists weren't exactly humanitarians, at least they cared about my pain. Otherwise, they wouldn't take steps to minimize it. Though... it is possible that they were only doing what they could to make sure I cooperated.

After these basic preliminary measurements came the harder part: finding my limits. I probably ran for an hour on a treadmill before I had to stop. It wasn't my legs that made me stop, since I wasn't moving muscle, but metal. But, I wasn't used to exercising. I hadn't walked very far in years, and I couldn't even remember the last time I ran. After going some ways, it was my lungs and gut, not my legs, that were screaming out for respite.

They pushed me further the first few times I said I was tired. I expected they would do this - so I said it early. By the end, I was exhausted but not incapacitated. It was better to let them think I was weaker than I was. When they let me off the treadmill, the rest of their tests were done without me having to move much, so I was able to rest. When I was brought back to my curtained little room and the recently bloodied cot I had for a bed, I nearly crashed out of exhaustion. I tossed fitfully for a few minutes, but sleep didn't come, and it took a bit to realize why; the aching in my everywhere was too great for me to take a nap. I reached for the crate next to my cot and found the bottle of painkillers. I sat up to take two more of the small capsules, swallowing them with a bottle of water. By the time I set the plastic bottle back on the floor, I had lost the impulse to nap off my exhaustion. I was too awake for it.

"Hey, Kasey?"

A moment later she pulled the curtain open. "Yeah? You okay?" The girl asked.

I nodded. "They just had me run. How's your brother?"

"Um... well..." she hesitated with her words, but she didn't look upset.  So something bad couldn't have happened, right?...

"Is he okay?"

"Yes!  Sort of.  I'll try to get him out."  Kasey walked a bit down the 'hallway' that existed between the two rows of curtained cubicles we had for rooms.  The spaces seemed small until you looked upwards, and the giant metal ceiling far above reminded you that you were just one section of an aircraft hangar.

I could hear Kasey talking to her brother Kaden.  Cheap medical curtains didn't do a good job of blocking out noise.   "Shilo wants to see you, to know you're alright."

"No." 

"Please?  He doesn't have the metal legs, so it's not like he can come see you himself..."

"I don't want anyone to see me like this.  Go away!"  I could just imagine Kaden crossing his arms and turning away from her.  It was the same thing I would do when my mother used to try to coax me into going to a social event; it was much easier to sit and sulk than to go and have everyone who used to be your friend give you pity looks.

Kasey tried again.  "But he looks worse than you!  It's not like he's gonna care..."

"I can't even see out of it, Kasey!  I'm never going to look normal again!  He wanted this and he can cover it up with a pair of pants.  How am I going to cover half of my face!?"

Kaden had always seemed to be quiet, at least the few times I played games or talked to him.  But now, all the broken fury had torn itself free.  I couldn't blame him.  Whatever had been done to the twins was terribly wrong.