t h r e e ↣ bone-dry

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

E R I N

ERIN CARVER HAD COMPLETELY butchered her first Halloween celebration. She wore a costume that nobody knew of, thinking that it'd be smart. The girl didn't even bring anything to carry the candy that she'd gotten from trick-or-treating. All Erin had was a time and a place, and a tight grip on her unnecessary film camera. Not to mention that the person who'd invited her, Jonathon Byers, had forgotten about the girl, leaving her to fend for herself in the middle of the tight-knit party of boys.

Not only was the girl's presence, for the most part, a disaster the entire night—she'd risked a hell of a lot more to trick-or-treat than just her dignity. Considering how little Erin actually knew about doing anything in the realm of social activity, she would've been better off staying home. Or so she thought, until Max Mayfield became the jump-scare she'd been waiting for all night.

She'd finally gotten the picture of the new girl, that she'd been sarcastically promised a few days prior. And with the night ending on such a surprisingly high note, Erin Carver thought that it had, somehow, become a great success. But little did the girl know, the night would end the same way that it began.

As she turned the corner onto her street, Erin Carver realized that the night's outcome would yield yet another result of her obviousness the holiday. Or better yet, the holiday hours—those of which her mother had to work on the day of Halloween. Her mother's schedule being just a few hours short of a normal workday, left Erin's palms sweaty as she stared at her mother's car parked in the silent driveway.

The girl was mortified. Her mother should've still been at work. And on any other day, she would've been. But Erin's mother was home for the same reason that her daughter had decided to sneak out: the small town's celebration of Halloween.

This would be the first and only irreversible misstep of Erin's throughout the night. And the sight of her mother's car would also be the first thing that could pry the film camera out of her clenched hands.

The equipment landed on the gravel, with a clashing, thudding sound, right in front of the girl's feet. And although the girl had made such a big deal about not damaging the borrowed camera, the sound of it clammering against the ground only echoed farther and farther into the back of her mind.

What used to be Erin's only concern, turned into the least of the girl's problems as she scraped the dented film camera off of the ground and anxiously proceeded towards the front steps of her home. She knew that what was waiting for her right behind the front door would be much worse than having to tell Mr. Clarke that she'd damaged school property.