Chapter 0: Prolog

A long, long, long time ago, long before the gods and monsters of this world came into being, long before even the universe itself came into existence, there was nothing. A true nothing, it wasn't just a lack of something, there was never anything in the first place. In this timeless void, nothing happened. Nothing lived, nothing died. No light was ever shone, yet no shadows were ever cast. Primordial Magic flowed freely throughout this empty space. In some places it flowed like rivers, pooling in vast oceans of pure magical energy. Always flowing in the same paths, always pooling in the same places. In other places, it whirled around in chaotic hurricanes of pure magical destruction, tearing itself apart in an instant, and reforming just as quickly. Never staying in the same spot, never reforming itself quite the same.

These two forces, "chaos" and "order" as they would come to be called, existed separately. A great distance separated the two, preventing any contact. As time passed, however, they grew. More and more primordial magic popped into existence, and one day, one of the oceans of order grew too vast for its own good, and the deadliest of the hurricanes of chaos grew too destructive for its surroundings, and the two collided, forming a massive anomaly of pure primordial magical energy. In a few fractions of a second, the anomaly condensed into a small floating ball. After a few seconds of thriving around, the anomaly of magic exploded into the very first being in existence, the eldritch god now known as "The Void".

At first, the void found itself alone, in a vast, unyielding darkness. No light had ever been shed, nor had any matter ever been made. Because of that fact, it was content to just exist. Not thinking, nor doing anything for eons, floating aimlessly in a vast, empty abyss. Eventually, however, it decided that it had grown bored of the nothing that it had found itself in. So, with a motive born of nothing but curiosity, it waved its hand, and made something, for the very first time.

Nobody knows what the first thing in existence was, it could have been a planet, or a star, or a galaxy, or an entire universe. All that we do know is that it didn't exist for long. For but the briefest of moments, it shone like a beacon in the dark, a defiant firstborn of existence. Far too soon for the voids' liking, however, it soon crumbled away into ash and dust from the forces of chaos and order that swirled around in the primordial void. At first, the void was surprising. They didn't expect their own magical power to destroy what they created. But as time wore on, they grew bothered by the ceaseless destruction, then mad, then furious. Everything it made faded away into nothingness right before its eyes! They were all-powerful, how come they couldn't make something and have it stick around for more than a few seconds? It was outrageous! This thought bounced within the Void's mind until one day, it decided enough was enough. It would create something that would last, no matter the cost! So it took half of its own magical power, enough to shatter universes and alter reality as a whole, it succeeded.

They thrust their arms forward, trying with all its might to form something equal to itself, and in an act that would change the soon-to-be omniverse as a whole, it succeeded. The raw magical power the void had accumulated rushed from its fingers and condensed, forming a small, white ball. Not even a second later, a bright, piercing light shone out from the orb, shining like a brilliant star in the blackened void. The light condensed, forming a pair of brilliant white wings that hovered near the orb.

For the first few moments, the two beings existed together, assessing each other. The void was proud and finally satiated in their desire. They were, at last, no longer alone. But as the seconds wore on, they realized something. A horrible, inevitable realization. What if this new being that they had created equal to themself, decided to rebel? What if it decided it wanted to be the only power in this endless nothingness? They couldn't allow that. They were the supreme ones, they were the ones who had made them, created it using their own power! Their own lifeblood! How dare it rebel against its creator! They would end this foolish revolution before it began.