coffee shop (jotakak)

i think i have an issue.

this story is told from the pov of a local coffee shop employee (aka my self-insert ;p ). have fun!

word count: 1486 (wow)

·~•✯•~·

Monday, October 16th

I'm writing this down so I don't forget. That's the whole reason I bought this journal, anyway.

I'll start with some background about me. My name is Miyuki Yamada. I'm 18, female, and I'll be 19 in June. I graduated from New Tokyo High five months ago with flying colors, and I work in a coffee shop over on 12th Street. Customers come in every day from all over town; some of them tell me they are from Tokyo. They come in, order their drinks, have a couple sweets, and then go about their day. Most of them don't have a set schedule: they come in on random. However, there are two men who come in every day, and that's what I really want this journal to focus on.

One of them has the brightest red hair I have ever seen. It's unnatural, really. He must have regular appointments to keep it that color. He also has stunning purple eyes. They're very pretty, I'll admit that, but they must be contacts. I wonder how he got them.

The other man's hair is blacker than night, possibly also dyed. Then again, it's not uncommon for the Japanese to have jet black hair. His eyes are a striking blue, which is rare, but still beautiful.

Somehow, these men seem familiar to me, like I know them from somewhere, even though I've never met either of them in my life.

The redhead comes in every day between 8 and 8:30 in the morning. I actually feel honored that he comes to this coffee shop every day instead of any other one. He never talks to anyone, only the cashier, Kiyoko Kajiwara. I notice she gets a little nervous talking to an attractive redhead like him, but he's always very kind and patient with her. He takes his seat by the east wall, typing on his laptop. I think he's an author, or a blogger.

The ravenette comes in about a half hour after the first, a dark look always present on his face. He, too, doesn't talk to anyone except Kiyoko, and she's even more nervous around him than the redhead. His piercing blue eyes certainly don't help the situation, and I find myself listening to Kiyoko recounting her conversations with him daily during our lunch break. She's a shy girl, yet I always see her talking to the customers and recommending them her favorite drinks based on what they like. She deserves a raise.

Thursday, October 19th

Kiyoko came in today, very excited and happy. She says there's a boy she really likes but she won't tell me anything else about him. I know I'm only her coworker, but I still want to get to know her more. I think we're around the same age, but I don't know if she thinks I'm weird or not.

Business was good as always. My mother came in for a coffee with her husband, my stepfather. I didn't really get to know him much since they married after I had already moved out, so it was a little awkward running into them. Mom tells me she's doing well, trying to get Yoshiro into music like I was, but he won't budge. I tell her not to push him, that he'll find what he wants to do, but she just waves her hand at me like she always did.

What was I going to say? Oh, right. The two men came in today, the ones I was talking about the other day? Well, the window of time where they come in is closing. The redhead came in today, as usual, and ordered his usual: French roast with two pumps of caramel syrup and almond milk. So as I get to work making his order, Kiyoko is handing him his change.

And then, almost immediately, the ravenette comes in and stands right behind him, waiting for him to finish so he can order. He glances at Kiyoko, and he SMILES at her. It was appalling, especially because since I've started observing these two men, I've never seen the taller one smile at anyone except the redhead.

So over our lunch, Kiyoko would not stop gushing about this man and how beautiful he is and how she wished she could date him. I couldn't help but laugh and gush along with her. Then I asked her if she thought they were familiar at all. She looked at me like I was crazy. I remember it very vividly. "Miyu," she said, "you're crazy." Of course, I laughed it off, saying I was only messing with her. I have a feeling she really thinks I'm crazy now.

Sunday, October 22nd

I served the redhead today, and it was just as thrilling as I expected. Let me explain.

So he came in today, ordered, and went to sit down. I made his drink and pulled two fresh cherry-filled donuts out of the display, and I went to give them to him. He spoke to me for the first time, other than "good morning" and "thank you." I learned his name is Noriaki Kakyoin, and he asked me about the ravenette. That was when I noticed the time. It was almost 9:30 and the taller man hadn't shown up yet. I told Noriaki that I hadn't seen him today and that I didn't know if he was going to show up. He sipped his latte, nodding dejectedly and staring at his laptop. I felt awful.

Recounting this later on, I didn't see the ravenette at all today. In fact, I haven't seen him for a few days. I can't help but wonder if he's okay. Not just because he's a regular customer and he brings the shop good business, but because I'm genuinely worried about him.

Wednesday, November 15th

I haven't seen Noriaki in a while. I keep thinking about what I told him the last time he came in, and it's been showing in my daily life. Just yesterday I almost spilled a customer's drink and I burnt a tray of cookies, both in the span of a few hours. Kiyoko asked me what was going on, so I told her at lunch. She had a compassionate look on her face, and she put her hand on my shoulder. She tells me they might just be dealing with personal issues and they'll probably be back soon. I don't know if I fully believe her, but I'm grateful that she's here.

She asked me a couple of days ago why I'm so obsessed with the men. I couldn't tell her why because she already thinks I'm crazy because I sense familiarity with them, so I kept quiet and tried to think of an excuse. Eventually, I lied and told her they look like old friends of mine, people I used to go to school with. She nodded, almost like she understood. Now I feel even more crazy.

I don't really have much to say anymore. I bought this journal so I could keep track of Noriaki and his friend (whose name is Jotaro, by the way), but since I don't see them anymore, there's really no point. I'll keep this thing around, but I don't see myself writing in it anytime soon.

Sunday, January 14th

YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED TODAY.

If you're guessing I saw them, then you're right. Noriaki and Jotaro came in today, but they were TOGETHER. HOLDING HANDS. I'm almost angry because I wanted to watch it happen, but that feeling was overtaken by joy. I asked how long they'd been together and learned it had been a few weeks and they were just getting used to going out together. I can't even describe how I felt in that moment. It was like watching a show where you know two characters are going to get together but the creators make you wait season after season until finally it happens.

I talked with them for a few minutes more, then I took their orders. Noriaki ordered what he always did, like he had it memorized. Jotaro ordered his standard as well: a vanilla latte with matcha powder and two cherries on top.

A few more minutes pass after I serve them and I get curious, so I look over at them. It was then that I understood why Jotaro always ordered his coffee with two cherries: one of them was for his eventual partner.

And that's my story. I see them every now and then, but not so much anymore. I don't know if they will get married here because Japan isn't exactly "accepting," but I hope that if they do decide to tie the knot they invite me.

I still haven't figured out why they are familiar to me, and I don't know if I ever will. In all honesty, thank you for reading. I appreciate it, even if I didn't expect an audience.