Chapter 9

"Far off, full of sorrow,
centuries old."

The Rosier family home was one of the most beautiful building Kira had ever seen. It was a house entirely focused on art and architecture, one that had been in the Rosier family for generations. It's white exterior stood out in the green surroundings. The inside was filled with white pillars and marble floors and even contained a three-story library.

Evan had been surprised to see them but he did not hesitate to let them in. He had closed the door and activated the protection charms without a word.

Now, they sat in one of the smaller living rooms. His house elf had brought them tea and he had lit the fire. He was waiting for them to explain what had happened.

"You know my magic?" Kira began.

"Yeah. You're a descendant of a powerful witch and all that." He frowned, wondering where it was going.

"We found another relative who had the same magic. Only when we got to her house, everything changed." She continued to explain the past week to him. "We came here because I knew it would be the safest with all the magic protecting it. We'll leave if you want us to."

He shook his head. "You're always welcome here, Kira. Who is this wizard that's after you?"

She bit the inside of her cheek, holding her mug closer to her body as she thought. "I don't know. Whoever he is, he's after the artefacts and believes I can find them."

"So what are you going to do?"

She looked up. Her gaze filled with determination. "I'm going to find them."

"Find them?" Aurelia interjected. "Are you sure?"

She was sure. She thought about it the entire journey here. This man would continuing trying to find her until he had all the artefacts. Who knew what he wanted them for. The chaos he would cause. If she could find them before he did, she could keep them from him. And then she could stop him from whatever he was trying to do.

She looked at Aurelia and nodded. "He's not going to leave me alone. I need to stop him before he tries to hurt my family." Her family. Another large motivator. Her magic was yet again putting her family in danger.

"I'm in. Merlin knows you need me."

Kira smiled, there was no convincing her to not put herself in danger. She would always be there for her.

"I'm going to help to," Evan said.

"You don't have to. It's going to be dangerous."

"I'll be damned if I let you run into danger on your own." The corner of his lips turned upwards. "Now, where do we start?"

"The ministry."

~~~

The French Ministry of Magic was situated in the center of Paris, accessible to all those visiting. Kira walked through the massive doors, holding up a badge that had her name and department on it. She received a nod from the security guard and led Evan inside. Aurelia stayed at the house, offering to go back to their home and look it over.

They walked through the main entrance hall and turned down a passageway. They were going to the Department of Magical Artefacts. There had to be some research or notes on Dhara Horne. Her status would get her in undetected but she remained careful. She wanted them to blend in.

She found the elevators and stepped inside, Evan following her. She had combed her hair back into a neat bun and wore a long, dark purple trench coat. She did not have her actual uniform, but it was close enough to not be most noticeable. Most Unspeakables rarely leave the Department of Mysteries at normal times.