Chapter 10

After scrubbing myself until the water turned black I finally got out of the small pool that never cooled. So far, this palace seemed more advanced than King Leon's. Although, I never saw the non-servant rooms. I wrapped myself in white linen and then stepped into the bedroom, leaving a wet trail behind me. I shivered from the cool breeze while opening a drawer of the large wooden dresser. 

There were four drawers, and each of them held earth toned articles of clothing. I was sure these clothes were all too casual to share a meal with King Damion. I looked around the room, and found an armoire. I cautiously opened it and gasped. Beautiful, floor length, and intricately designed dresses hung inside. They were all the Kingdom's staple colors, but different shades and patterns. I lightly grazed a blue one with feathers. Now, I was even more confused. Were all these dresses for me? Why? 

Dread pooled in my stomach. Maybe I was meant to be embarrassed in these fine dresses. Perhaps the King would parade me around, humiliate the vampire's slave. Because why would you dress a slave in fine clothes if not to just mock them with what they couldn't have? To make them look ridiculous? 

I swallowed tightly and dug through the mass of fabric for the most plain dress I could find. I didn't want to insult the King by wearing trousers, but I also didn't want to be overdressed and the laughing stock. A cinnamon satin dress with a simple corset backing was the least extravagant dress in the armoire. I put on some clean undergarments and then stepped into the soft fabric. It was high necked and modest in the front. The back was more open, but nothing like what King Leon has had me wear for him. I dug through more drawers until I found some shoes. I found some nice leather boots and put them on. They ensemble wasn't the most stylish, but I needed sturdy shoes in case I got the opportunity to run. 

The knock on my door came just as I finished wrestling my thick hair into a bun. Myrtle poked her head in and stated, "My goddess! You are even more stunning when you aren't covered in dirt and grime." 

My face flushed and I nodded my head in thanks. I had never been complimented before. Not by someone who truly meant it. At least I hoped she meant it. 

"Are you ready to dine with his majesty?" asked Myrtle. I stood and walked over to her. I struggled to keep my head straight and eyes forward. I didn't realize how ingrained it was in me to keep my head down. 

I answered honestly, "No, but I know I don't have a choice." Myrtle smiled sadly, and led me out of the room into a long broad hallway. Multiple men in matching green uniforms, likely shifters, lined the wall next to my room. No one acknowledged us as we started walking. Scenic paintings adorned one wall, and windows on the other. I tried to not seem too curious as I glanced outside. We were high up in the mountains it seemed. Rock, a steep drop off, and pine trees could be found outside of these walls. Even more mountains filled the horizon. If I was going to escape I would need to be smart about it, and prepare well for the trek. 

Myrtle led me through the maze that was this ginormous castle. We passed several servants, a bear, some birds, and guards. I tried to keep track of each turn stairs, and hallway we went through but it became fuzzy after ten minutes or so. We finally stopped at a set of ornate double doors. There were two guards on either side. They nodded at Myrtle and pushed open the doors. I was ushered inside with a gentle hand on my back and then the doors shut firmly behind me. Fear took hold of me, and I immediately tried to open them again but they wouldn't budge. 

"I have never had someone quite so afraid to eat with me before. I promise I don't bite. Well, actually I can't promise that," joked the werewolf King. His attempt to lighten the mood failed and I stayed frozen at the door. 

I slowly turned and finally took in the room. The dining room could have fit the whole court. Yet, it wasn't the dazzling chandeliers, bright flowers, or heaps of food that caught my attention. It was the man that sat at the head of the long oak table. His captivating stare sucked the air out of the room. I stared for far too long at the King in his fine clothes, and heavy gold crown. He unabashedly studied me in turn, and the way his mouth pulled up slightly in the corners showed me that he liked what he saw. I wasn't sure how to feel about that. I didn't know yet if I wanted his attention or not. If he is anything like King Leon then this was not going to end well. 

He pointed to the chair next to him, "Come. Sit." Less of an invitation, and more of an order. Nevertheless, I timidly walked over to the chair next to him. His eyes followed my every step. The chair scraping against the marble floor echoed in the large room. I quickly sat down and stared at my lap. Being this close was difficult. His woodsy smell was absolutely intoxicating. 

After a moment of silence he rumbled, "Darling, you are not a slave here. You are my guest." 

Before I could stop myself I softly retorted, "And yet, I am being ordered around, and guarded." 

King Damion sighed and then said, "You're a guest, but I want to make sure that you're not also a spy for that bastard that calls himself a King. It's all just precautions. You're free to go where you please, but not alone."

I contemplated what he said. Everything in my life has lead me to know that I couldn't trust him. Yet, I desperately wanted to. 10 full days of meals, and not being beaten or used sounded too good to be true. Especially for a human slave. 

"Why am I here?" I asked in the silence. The question had been on my mind since the moment he asked for me to stay here. 

Damion started, "You're my-, um." He paused and then continued, "You're here because you're valuable. I need to figure out what's going on. Right now you seem to be Leon's most prized possession, which makes me want to hold onto you even more."

I couldn't help but feel a little jilted at his words. I'm caught in the middle of two King's having a pissing battle. This was never actually about me at all. Disappointment crept into my heart, and I couldn't put my finger on why.