The Weekend Write-In on Wattpad

Cover art by Luna Deaminac: https://www.deviantart.com/lunadeaminac

Welcome to the Weekend Write-In:

What is this all about?

Once upon a time, there was an Amazon website called WriteOn, similar in concept to Wattpad. It closed down after a couple of years, in 2017, leaving many readers and writers looking for a new home, and we were given a warm welcome to set up our home here at Wattpad.

WriteOn had a wonderful exercise every week, called the Weekend Write-In, and we are hoping we can carry on that tradition here. Each week the staff would set us a task, to write a 500 word story (stories of this length are commonly known as Flash Fiction), using the prompt that they supplied. For example, their final prompt was "In 500 words, write a story in which a horn goes off".

What are the rules?

The story should be around 500 words (although some of us have challenged ourselves to write exactly 500 words). It could be as short as you like, one sentence even, or as long as you like, but be aware that if you make it too far over the limit, you may not get as many people willing to take the time to read it. It can be anything you like; fiction, non fiction, poetry, mystery, romance, etc. Whatever takes your fancy.

Any other rules?

Yes. One other. Be nice. The weekend write-in especially welcomes new readers, new writers, and writers not so confident in their abilities. Comments are welcomed, but they should be gentler. We want to encourage people to come here to have fun, meet up with old friends, and make new ones. The warm and welcoming community we built up on the weekend write-in on Amazon's WriteOn was very special. We hope that continues here.

How do I submit the story?

At the top of Wattpad, click 'write' to create your story. You will see a field called 'tags'. Click on the "+Add a tag" and enter two very specific tags. One of them will always be:

weekendwritein

the other will change each week, depending on the prompt.

Now, publish your book, and put the link to your book in the comments section of the appropriate chapter of this book.

We will issue a new prompt every Friday, so be sure to add this book to your 'private library' (by clicking the orange + sign at the top) so that you get notified when a new chapter is added (each chapter is a new prompt)

We hope you enjoy your time here as much as we do.