Chapter 6

🐺 ~ Y/N sighed. She knew Steve wouldn't give up, especially since he was so close to getting what he wanted.

"Come on. I have an...apartment that's not far from here. We need to change."

Steve raised an eyebrow, but gathered his things, followed Y/N to her car, and the two quickly sped away.

Y/N stopped at an open field, and had to hold back a laugh when she saw the confused look on Steve's face. Being on the run was just common sense to her.

"We can't just park my car right by it!" She laughed, "They'd catch us right away."

Steve blushed, embarrassed that he hadn't thought about this. Y/N shifted into her wolf form and began to head towards a forest area at the end of the field.

"Last I checked, apartments don't usually belong in forests," Steve half-joked, eyeing Y/N curiously.

"Fine, it's more like a tiny house," Y/N rolled her eyes, "But can you blame me? I had to have somewhere to hide before you guys took me in."

🇺🇸 ~ Steve's eyes softened. Y/N rarely opened up about her past, and when she did, she only included tiny snippets. Steve was likely the closest one to Y/N, other than Nat. He had been on several missions with her, and the two had gotten to know each other quite well.

Or, Y/N had gotten to know Steve, at least. It seemed to him like every time Y/N began to tell Steve about her past experiences, she got frightened. Something was always stopping Y/N, and he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

Steve followed after her into the woods, curious to see what this "mini-house" would look like. Y/N began to pick up her pace, and unfolded her wings, jumping from tree to tree rather than staying on the ground.

Steve watched in wonder as she effortlessly pranced through the forest. Y/N glanced back at him with a particular gleam in her eyes, making Steve chuckle.

He chased after her, delighted in her cheerful expression and small giggles as she leapt across the branches. Steve's super-soldier strength and speed allowed him to keep up with her. Even when Y/N flew as fast as she could, Steve could always outrun her.

However, one thing that the serum did not do was allow Steve to fly. As Y/N flew higher and higher, it became harder and harder for Steve to see her.

She now flew along the treetops, and the only way he knew where she was was by listening for the sound of branches rustling.

As Y/N flung herself higher and further, the sound of her paws hitting the leaves grew quieter, until finally, it faded completely. Steve found himself lost in the forest without a trace of where Y/N was.

He called out to her, half expecting Y/N to pop out of nowhere and scare him. No answer. Steve felt his heartbeat increase a bit.

"Y/N, where are you?"

🐺 ~ Y/N flew along the trees, sighing in contentment. It had been months since she had been in these woods, and she missed them more than she thought.

After a few moments of bliss, she glanced back down towards the forest floor, and realized that she could no longer see nor hear Steve. Worried, she slowed her pace and flew down to the forest floor. He was nowhere in sight.

"Steve?" Y/N called out timidly, desperate for a response. None came.

Y/N unintentionally shifted into her human form and shivered. Great. Not only had she lost Steve, but her fear had caused her to remain human. She had been in this forest many times before. Was it always this dark and menacing?